• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Prospector

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gote Rider

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I heard about the traditions prospector .44 pistol its a single shot. Do any of you know where I can look at a picture of it? Also have any of you shot one of these guns if so how did it shoot?

I have a traditions 'Pioneer' pistol in .45 cal. Havent heard of the 'prospector' pistol tho.Try the Traditions website--cheers zodd

The man that told me about the gun gave me the catalog to look at. It is the 2008 deer creek catalog. The gun is on pg.33 at the bottom of the pg. It does not have the company that made it just what it is called. If any of you have this catalog check it out and let me know what you think about it.

I remember a thread about that gun a couple years ago on another forum. There were a few pictures of it. It looked a lot like a revolver, but it was a single shot with brass backstrap. I don't know much else about it other than Traditions' website didn't have it listed then, nor now. You might try some google searches to see if you can come up with any info on it.

TC used to have something of that sort, I think they called it a prospector. more of an inline design if I recall, and very similar to the Tingle(?) single shot pistols from a few years back.
I think I'm sniffing the right tree here!

did see a Tingle(?) at a rondy this weekend in a vendor tent....275 with a45 barrel and a 58 smooth bore barrel, nipple straight out the back of the breech plug.

i have one it is a hercules. one side has a covered wagon scene and the other has a prospector. it had a .45 barrel. but i replaced it with a hoyt .45 barrel.

with the factory barrel it was ok. but with the hoyt barrel it is a tack driver. they are easy to get a good triger on and are fast lock time.

I think that I've seen pictures of a similar model that CVA used to offer named the "Conestoga" for the engraved covered wagon that's on the side of the frame.
The 7 groove deep rifling and the walnut grip sounds good, but I wonder how difficult and how often it's necessary to clean out the hammer & trigger mechanism.
Also adjustable sights on a pistol might allow for better shooting accuracy, but this model only has a rear hammer notch sight.

I've shot traditional sidelocks for years and I don't pull the locks/triggers unless there's something wrong in there. Otherwise, maybe once a year I'll put a drop of oil on the sear & pivot points.

Back