• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Mountain Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am moving to Las Vegas in a few months, but I travel back home to Illinois quite often to visit family and friends. I'd like to avoid the hassle of dragging a muzzleloader through airport security and paying extra etc. etc. just a pain.

I want to get an affordable muzzleloader to keep back home in Dad's gun cabinet with some powder, ball, etc. so I can come home and shoot without all that carrying on.

The Traditions Mountain Rifle is on sale right now for $376 and looks real sharp:

traditions-mountain-rilfe-50-caliber-percussion.jpg

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/mountain-rifle-classic-sidelocks

I know it's not authentic but the price is right and if they shoot good I will probably get one for my purposes. Do they shoot pretty good? Do they break alot? Just looking for feedback on this rifle and Traditions rifles in general. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a feller that used to be a member here who bought the flint & cap models both & he swears by them. he posted photo's on another forum 'sposedly showin' his groups at 100yds and if he's bein' truthful they're very impressive indeed.

a word of caution : take note at the link you provided the barrel is "Cerakoted" they claim it to look like traditional rust-brown but based on observations of modern guns that "claimed" their Cerakote looked "just like a nice high-gloss blue" I have my doubts and would probably get the kit version.

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

also on their website it says they can't ship BP guns to ILLinois.

The "fit and finish" on these guns might not be the best but that's the price of buying a low cost factory made gun.

I haven't heard of any mechanical problems with any of the later Traditions guns and the Spanish made barrels are very accurate once the "right" load is found.

Thanks, yall. Midway USA has them on sale for $376.72 on clearance. I live in Kansas so would have it sent there then I'd take it to Illinois to keep at my Father's house. My kin are back across the Mississippi and I head back there often to see the babies and converse etc. Got a little nephew there growing up, maybe someday he can get uncles rifle? :)

But I'll be heading way out west to Las Vegas soon. Would probably be easier to have a rifle and supplies in Illinois. Think I'll get this Traditions Mountain Rifle if you guys think it'll make a good shooter.

Smokey Plainsman said:
I am moving to Las Vegas in a few months, but I travel back home to Illinois quite often to visit family and friends. I'd like to avoid the hassle of dragging a muzzleloader through airport security and paying extra etc. etc. just a pain.

I want to get an affordable muzzleloader to keep back home in Dad's gun cabinet with some powder, ball, etc. so I can come home and shoot without all that carrying on.

The Traditions Mountain Rifle is on sale right now for $376 and looks real sharp:

traditions-mountain-rilfe-50-caliber-percussion.jpg

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/mountain-rifle-classic-sidelocks

I know it's not authentic but the price is right and if they shoot good I will probably get one for my purposes. Do they shoot pretty good? Do they break alot? Just looking for feedback on this rifle and Traditions rifles in general. Thanks!

Certainly a good find at a good price, rifle appears to be a remake of the CVA Mountain rifle, and has a reputation for being an excellent shooter.

Personally though I think you would be much happier if you could find one in flint.
I know I would. :thumbsup:

I like caplock rifles and the history surrounding them, I was born that way I guess. Besides I've heard the Traditions flintlock locks aren't set up the best, wrong angles etc. but I could be wrong (happens often).

This gun is designed to be a caplock, if a person was going to go to a flintlock, a earlier full stock rifle would be more fitting.

I just picked up a super clean CVA Mountain Rifle the other day ( Traditions-CVA) same thing I think, and seems to be a good shooter with 55 grains of GOEX FFG. Took a while to find the right load but in this 50, 55grs. seems to be it. About 20 years ago, I thought I was a heck of a shot with a pair custom flint longrifles, then at a shoot up north some guy come along with a Traditions Pennsylvania flinter and kicked my butt, thought maybe I'd beat him the following day, but once again he cleaned house with that traditions, My son-in-law just bought I think is that same old rifle that guy beat me with, going to work up a target and hunting load for that now. Don't be afraid to hit some local Rendezvous wherever you can find them, often some real good deals on rifles can be found there, otherwise I'm sure your going to like this Traditions.

Every once in awhile I find a great deal on a muzzleloader at the pawn shops, never know what you might find.

Buy a drop in bore light a [LED bobber fishing light].at Amazon.com or your local sporting goods. In the fishing department.
Then you can check out the bore .

As indicated cap vs flint is indeed a mater of personal preference, and indeed the mountain rifle is mostly patterned after the caplock plains rifles of the early 19th century.

As far as cock/frizzen geometry, there will always be discussion/controversy in this area concerning all major brands. This usually comes from personal bias and is most often brought about from improper flint placement.

As far as accuracy goes Traditions rifles will rival, and often best out, any "off the rack" rifle out there.

Looks nice. I also checked out the soon to be available "prairie Hawkin". Will be interested to see what it looks like? Cant be too much different :idunno:

FWI all my Traditions have been no problem and accurate enough. About on par with CVA IMHO

Back