• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swapping locks on Traditions Kentucky from percussion to flint.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m building my smoothbore Kentucky flintlock project right now. I have an opportunity to buy an un assembled Traditions Kentucky percussion kit for a pretty good price. Rather than swap the barrel on my existing flintlock, I’m wondering if a Traditions flint lock will drop in to the inletted percussion stock? I would just build this second rifle as my smoothbore and keep my current 50 rock lock as it is.

Is your smooth bored Kentucky flint lock based on Traditions or CVA parts? If the guns are both Traditions, then it is likely that the Traditions locks will fit in the lock mortise.
I have a smoothbore barrel coming from Colerain to put on my Traditions flintlock 50. I saw a percussion Traditions on a gun swap in Canada for a good price. I was hoping to get the kit and then build it with the smoothbore and make it a flintlock rather than percussion. Could do a little work on the stock to make it more trade gun like too.

Pulled the trigger on the Traditions kit in the gun swap. Will make the smoothbore with the stock and all parts from the kit except the lock. Will use my lock from my other Kentucky for now. Will try and get another lock for the old one or will put the percussion lock and new barrel on the old one. lots to play with anyway!

Back