• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions 24in flintlock deer hunter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1in48 twist 24in barrel and a plasticstock and fiberoptic sights. This thing is a sin 10x over. Still love it tho.

I bought it on sale brand new for 300$ honestly too much but well worth it to me.
The lock is good sparks very well. I found on mine the hammer sits a little too close to the barrel offsetting the flint. But you can cheat it a tiny bit and it lines up perfectly.
The frizzen/iron is rather soft and I will add to this when I take on the endeavor of hardening it. Along with the frizzen being rather small almost a pistol frizzen. I have found 5/8 flints work the best.
The stock dispite being plastic it feels realy good and lends to the rifles total weight of 6.5lb.
The pan is oblong and not super deep but not shallow. The flash hole is rather large from what I have seen,and has a nice chamfered edge to direct the flames.
The ram rod is very bendy. But you would play hell breaking it because it is some kind of polymer plastic so if you choke up on it it will work fine.
I will add to this after shooting and using it some and keep yall posted.

Btw I hunt with store flints and play with ones I make myself so dont get onto me for wasting my flint for pictures it's one I made myself.

Attachments

• 20230504_212534.jpg
    20230504_212534.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2
One of those is the first muzzleloader I owned. I bought it because it was cheap and I didn't know anything about black powder guns so I didn't want to spend much money till I saw if I even liked them.

Maybe I was lucky that it worked so well right out of the box for this noobie, as it got me started in this very interesting sport.

I have a wood stocked deer hunter with iron sights. Handy little rifle for the deer woods or from a blind, very accurate too. It's what got me started in black powder shooting and hunting.

That's an amazing picture, I just read on here where Traditions locks were junk ;)
It works as good as some expensive ones I have see. It dose have a heavy frizzen spring and might eat flints but that's fine.

Some have good luck with Traditions but not me. The parts seem to me to all be of inferior quality and the 2 I had didn't last long. Some guys like noted above have them and like them but Traditions left a bad taste in my mouth.

A guy I work with sold me one of these for $50 with a box full of gear. I hate Traditions guns but for the price, I snapped it up. I gave it to my son for a truck gun, and kept the gear for myself as it was worth more than the gun IMO.

Robert Hoyt made the barrel to order.
Simple front blade, one ram rod holder up front.
Kinda my version of a southern European poor boy.
I've since added a butt plate made from buffalo horn knife scale.

I've owned several deerhunters over the years, percussion locks though.
The one I currently have is a kinda rare 45 caliber. 1/66 twist round ball barrel. Very accurate little gun.

I started with one but never had much luck with it, it ate flints up in a couple shots. Stock was really light so I stuck a bunch of nails and Bondo in the butt of the stock. It balances really well now but still eats flints haha!

You got to start somewhere and you will be fine. Lil down the road after the Flintlock bug bites then it’s time to spend some cash and get a higher quailty one. Then you will always have a backup! Enjoy and make smoke!!!

I have a wood stocked deer hunter with iron sights. Handy little rifle for the deer woods or from a blind, very accurate too. It's what got me started in black powder shooting and hunting.

That's an amazing picture, I just read on here where Traditions locks were junk ;)
Yep, lots if folks will tell you they are junk but I've been shooting traditions guns since the nineties and have never had a problem with the lock. I think they are a fine budget rifle. Specially for someone just starting out. I wouldn't want to drop two grand for a custom gun not knowing if I'm gonna like the sport or not.

1in48 twist 24in barrel and a plasticstock and fiberoptic sights. This thing is a sin 10x over. Still love it tho.

I bought it on sale brand new for 300$ honestly too much but well worth it to me.
The lock is good sparks very well. I found on mine the hammer sits a little too close to the barrel offsetting the flint. But you can cheat it a tiny bit and it lines up perfectly.
The frizzen/iron is rather soft and I will add to this when I take on the endeavor of hardening it. Along with the frizzen being rather small almost a pistol frizzen. I have found 5/8 flints work the best.
The stock dispite being plastic it feels realy good and lends to the rifles total weight of 6.5lb.
The pan is oblong and not super deep but not shallow. The flash hole is rather large from what I have seen,and has a nice chamfered edge to direct the flames.
The ram rod is very bendy. But you would play hell breaking it because it is some kind of polymer plastic so if you choke up on it it will work fine.
I will add to this after shooting and using it some and keep yall posted.

Btw I hunt with store flints and play with ones I make myself so dont get onto me for wasting my flint for pictures it's one I made myself.
The price doesn't matter as long as you like it. If you keep it and hunt with it for a few years that money is long gone anyway. I've paid more than I should for several over the years and, by the end if the next billing cycle, I've already forgotten about the price. Enjoy it. And we will be expecting pictures of those successful hunts here in a few months.

Back