• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions? I need help to identify..Please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_T

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found this for sale. I am not sure what it is. I think it is a Traditions? The seller says he bought it new in the early 80's and it has never been shot. He says it was made in Ardesa Spain. I think I can get it for around $400.00 or should I get a new GPR for $450.00. This will be my first traditional ML so any help would be appreciated.
rifle1.jpg
rifle2.jpg
rifle3.jpg
rifle4.jpg

I will be honest I am not sure but, I don't think it is a Traditions. Its hard to say by the pics. It has the look of their newer venture into the market and has had a couple of custom inserts it looks like.
The older traditions were of better quality than the ones today. The company switched manufactures and went in a different direction with their modern ventures.
However after nearly ruining there reputation they seem to be trying to come back with a new, overpriced rifle that looks better and is suppose to be better quality.
I will say this if you are buying used and you have to go to $400 to get it. Make sure the barrel and the overall gun is in great shape.
I know he says it has never been shot but till you look down that barrel he can tell you anything. Make sure it is unloaded before looking too!

Now I am not knocking Traditions as they are shooters. My first one was a Traditions .50 but buying a used one and knowing what I know today I would go here. Lyman is a better bang for the buck.

For $442.00 you have a brand new GPR http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156031102

Or if you have a little knowledge this is your best option for $388.02 These have gone up two years ago I bought a .54 for $228.00 http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156031114

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditions possibly, but most importantly it is Ardessa. Does not really matter who the American importer was. Those particular inlays though were common for early ('80s) Traditions imports. $400 would be on the steep end for that rifle.$300 would be great $350 fair.It is a good rifle and I personally would put it up against the Lyman products anyday.

Hello from Germany!

Congrats. It is a Ardesa Hawken rifle. Normally they were in .45 and have a 1 in 32" ROT, so that you can shoot both PRB and conicals. It is also very usable for hunting with conicals. Ardesa has another model which looks similar the Hawken Creedmore, but it as a peep sight. So for USD 400 I would take it. Here it costs new € 325/$ 450.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Now I wish I hadn't tossed my old Traditions catalog from the early 90's. It is the Traditions large Hawken. Also has the long tang. Not often seen as I don't think they must have sold that many.

$400?? Wanna buy some beautiful ocean front property in kansas? :haha:

$200-$250 at the most, depending on the condition of the barrel.

$400?? Wanna buy some beautiful ocean front property in Kansas?
No I don't want to buy any ocean front property in Kansas. The joke is on you I already own some :rotf:

I did end up buying this gun for $250.00 shipped. I received it today it looks to be in great condition. The barrel does appear to have never been shot, as the owner claimed. The only markings on the barrel is: Ardesa Spain .50 cal Black Powder Only 0414xx. My questions are does anyone know who the importer was and what the barrel twist might be? As I already stated it was purchased new in the 80's.

At that price you got a steal.

I looked thru my 1980 and 1987 Dixie catalog and didn't find it for what that's worth.

If the photos are accurate the stock wood looks far better than most of the Spanish imports. Very nice indeed.

As for the twist you can measure that yourself.

With a lightly oiled cleaning patch on a jag run the cleaning rod in until it hits the breech.
Put a piece of masking tape on the rod so that it is flush with the muzzle.

Make a mark on the tape that is in line with the front sight.
Slowly pull the rod back out allowing it to rotate with the rifling grooves.

When the mark has rotated 1/4 turn (like from 12:00 to 3:00), measure the distance from the muzzle to the tape.
Multiply this distance by 4 and you will know the rate of twist.

Do this several times because occasionally the patch will jump a groove, especially if your not careful to allow the patched jag/rod to turn freely.

If the barrel and lock (the part that you cock) are sound, $400 would be a decent price. As a first muzzleloader, it would be a great rifle to learn with, from targets and plinking to hunting it would serve you well. Try $375 as an opener, but $400 or so would be very fair ifyou need to climb.

Marc Adamchek said:
If the barrel and lock (the part that you cock) are sound, $400 would be a decent price. As a first muzzleloader, it would be a great rifle to learn with, from targets and plinking to hunting it would serve you well. Try $375 as an opener, but $400 or so would be very fair ifyou need to climb.
Look back at his previous post.......He bought it for 250$.shipped

The rifle you have pictured is most certainly a Traditions (known as Ardesa in Europe).This is their high end Hawken rifle, as opposed to their Hawken Woodsman which is styled more on the order of a T/C Hawken.
The price you quoted seams about right for MSRP.
.........I just read your later post and $250 is an outstanding price, and the rate of twist is 1:66.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Back