• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Spanish made commercial locks have been made for decades and installed on millions of guns.
Of course they function but they can't be compared to the quality locks from the like of Chambers and L&R, right(?)

Trouble is the stamped out parts are assembled with very little finish work. They can be greatly improved with full dis-assembly and polishing of the edges and all binding/contact surfaces.
The Frizzen on those have never had a really good temper,, they can throw a pretty lame spark.
But an after market "improved" frizzen is available for around $25.
If you do that simple finish work and replace that frizzen they work just fine, properly lubed and cared for they're quick and reliable.
Just keep in mind, when it comes to locks,, you get what ya pay for.

There's replacement locks available, but you need to consider what your putting the lock on to justify the cost. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/794/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Handle one first by the way -- I have one and find the ergonomics make it damn near impossible to hold on target comfortably for more than a few hard-fought seconds with the thing.

Avast ye Matey, 'tis the Pirate's so, aye, the caution... but it is fair advice for the landlubber who ain't a one to be hornswaggled regardless.

Imo, the comparable cva locks were a few percentage points better for reliability.

The traditions trapper is front heavy and clunky. Massive compared to the tc patriot, which unfortunately never came in flint.

The Kentucky model is passable and a fair gun after some lock work. It is a shame because the barrels are good round ball shooters. I think their Crockett pistol could be a decent target pistol with a single set and a better lock.

hawkeye2 said:
Alden, are you referring to the pirate pistol?

Purchased a Traditions Pirate pistol via this Website's Classifieds a while ago. Gun was ok, but I felt it needed a bit of "re-working".

file_zpsvxf9bpi7.jpg

The result was satisfactory.

file_zps65tflvih.jpg

file_zpsqgtdycbp.jpg

Pistol shoots great, lock is good (although lacking a tumbler bridle). Overall a nice weapon.

I ve been looking at geting the same pistol(Pirate pistol) and wanted to know if the makers mark is easy to get rid of? How good is the pistol for the cost? Thanks for any info.

Did you replace the buttcap? If not, how did you apparently change the angles and width of the original cast piece and the grip or am I seeing things!?

Latest posts

Back