• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raedwald said:
I see ffffg suggested for use un .31 revolvers. Has anyone any experience if using ffffg in a .32 rifle?

You've got some old literature. Present suggestions call for 3fg loads. While 4f powder will work in light loads of perhaps 10 to a max of 15 grains for pushing a 32 caliber ball, I would recommend that using 3fg will get you more consistent (better accuracy) results.

I ordered mine from Cabelas in June. Got it one week before Christmas and I'm tickled pink with it. Took it out today for the second session. Drifted my rear sight a bit to the right and filed the front sight down a smidge. It's spot on now or it was at 4:00 P.M. I didn't see a lot of difference in group sizing between 20 though 30 grains of 3F. My little flask throws about 28 grains so I filed it dead on at 25 yards with that load.I am sure you will like your new toy. Overall quality was better than I expected. No problem with the hammer striking center of nipple as was common several years back. I suspect demand is pretty strong for the rifle because prices keep going up. Mine cost $499, Money well spent.Now if I can find a lethargic squirrel with a large head he's in trouble.

I thought about loading my blackpowder shotgun full of corn and shooting it.. then if i miss theres bait.. shelled corns pretty hard..

I'm not sure what I'll do with sights until playing with it for a while. I want the sights dead on for hunting squirrel, but my powder charge at 28 grains is a bit much for squirrel. Where I'm at now there is plenty of coyotes that call close in orange groves,I'll probably leave it there and re-think the matter when I make it back home. I bought the thing with grand ideas about squirrel hunting.The increase in powder raised the group and made less filing necessary. sure would be nice to cut the powder loss in half.

I used 30 grains of 3F in my Crockett for squirrels and didn't get the "mess" some claim. There was just a small hole going in and a slightly larger exit. Head shots are best, of course, but as long as you don't shoot the shoulder or hips it does the same job.

weird Hanshi........I'm guessin if I shot one of the locals in the head with 30 gr outta mine I would have no head at all. 10 grs seems to leave only 3/4 of head :shocked2:

Sure....just odd that yers don't explode the skull like mine and others :hmm: I have shot em with a .22 mag in the head with way less destruction than 10 gr in my crockett (.22 mag solid point, no use for the hollows here)

I use 20 gr. fff in my .32...not a Crockett, but it does the job. It makes a "crack" but I could probably get by with less. Very accurate rifle (Cabela's Blue Ridge.) I figure it's .22 Mag velocities.

azmtnman, you might be like that little cajun boy I came up on in the swamp.He has so many squirrels hanging by the head under his belt, I thought he was wearing a skirt. Strange thing is he didn't have no gun.He would chunk rocks with his left hand and crack their skull every throw.I told him I ain't never seen no little left handed boy throw rocks that good. He says Oh, I'm not left handed. I said boy we don't tell lies in the swamp. I done saw you hit that squirrel with your left hand. He says to me, no sir I'm not lying. My daddy makes me throw left handed, He says I bust em up too bad with my right.

I think my 28 grains might be a bit right handed.

Based on your experience, would the Traditions Crockett .32 cal be accurate enough for the Under .40 cal silhouette shoot at Friendship?

Terry Dull said:
Based on your experience, would the Traditions Crockett .32 cal be accurate enough for the Under .40 cal silhouette shoot at Friendship?

Yes Terry, the rifle is as accurate as you can be. It wasn't a Crockett but that national shoot has been won with a .32. My Crockett will keep 5 shots in a 2" circle, at 25 yards, if I do my part. Keep yer powder dry.....robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote]
Yes Terry, the rifle is as accurate as you can be. It wasn't a Crockett but that national shoot has been won with a .32. My Crockett will keep 5 shots in a 2" circle, at 25 yards, if I do my part. Keep yer powder dry.....robin :hmm: [/quot]

The Crockett I had was capable of sub 1" groups at 40 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, I wouldn't expect a match rifle for a budget price. With that said, the Crockett is a fine, affordable rifle and I have no doubt I could kill a mess of squirrels with mostly head shots. All of my scoped .22 L.R. squirrel kills have been head shots, with quite a few shots to the back or whatever fur was showing. I mean this is hunting and I eat the squirrels. I've never entered a formal competition other than handgun or skeet. The Traditions 32 is a fine little rifle for the money, but I would not expect it to be match rifle. JFYI my rifle ain't for sale.

I really like those little rifles and my custom .32 is not any more accurate than my Crockett was.

I have the same one, paid a bit more but it was brand new. was my second muzzleloader ever. bought my first one three hours before....

accurate? 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds on Dutch Schoultz`s provided targets using his system. next time I get it out I`ll make sure there are pics. I have two nipples for it, one for #11 caps, and one filed down for #10, which seem to be the prevailing caps in my area. shoot it all day, and it does not seem like you burned any powder.

Back