• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett breech type

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just been given a Traditions Crockett 32 cal kit. I really don't want a 32 caliber rifle- pea size balls don't do well in Colorado winds, and my arthritic hands will drop ittyy-bitty balls. What to do? My thought is to have the barrel rebored to 40 caliber; my favorite flinter is a 40 that does a great job hunting cottontails. The barrel measures just over three-quarters of an inch across the flats, and several barrel makers offer 40 cal barrels at three fourths of an inch.

I know that Traditions drum and nipple barrels should not be taken apart. This 32 cal barrel has what appears to be a typical Hawken-ish one piece snail and breech plug with integral tang. Due to small bore size, shining a light down the tube doesn't tell much. Probing with 17 cal modern gun cleaning rod doesn't sense any sort of step or counterbore into the breech plug.

Has anyone had one of these apart, or have a drawing of this specific breech? I don't want to risk putting vice and wrench to it until I know more.

Thanks for any help. I gotta do something with this screwdriver and sandpaper kit, for the donor is sure to ask about it.

Me, I would just complete the build as is. I think any extra work would not be worth the effort. & $$$$

Last edited:
Call Bobby Hoyt about reboring. In Fairfield PA. Hard to get on the phone, but his work is worth the effort. I'm not sure how hard it would be to simply make a second barrel. I have never examined a crockett up close.

I read in another thread that Bobby Hoyt will not work on traditions or CVA barrels because of the type of breech plug used. It would be best to check with him anyway.

I bought one of these new about 15 years ago. For some reason, I'm thinking it has a recessed "chamber". Don't ask me to prove it, though. On a side note, Crockett's have a reputation for being amazingly accurate right out of the box. I know mine is. I can sure understand the issue with handling small balls. I have arthritis in my fingers that can get pretty troublesome when trying to manipulate small objects, but are you sure you want to do this?

I have a Crockett on its way to me. I have never used or had a loading block but thinking about it for this one as just being able to see the sprue is up properly, I feel I have to put my reading glasses on.
Have you thought about making and using a loading block for it?

Perhaps looking a gift barrle in the bore and finding fault with it is one way to discover where you stand with the giver.

Anything other than refining the shape of the Crockett's stock is going beyond sensible in my book, which I've closed with completion of my kit built gun.

Reasons stated above why reboring this one may not be a good idea. SO either finish it up and putter around with it or sell it. I don't think you will hear any negative comments about the crocket though, everybody seems to enjoy theirs.

My Crocket has the smaller diameter breech area. If you put a rod just under bore size down the barrel and then repeat with a .22 cleaning rod, the .22 rod goes deeper. I like the loading block idea - it is a challenge to load a loose patched ball. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Thanks for the idea.

I sold my 32 because I dropped more balls than I shot. Try a loading block or do what I did, use a maxi-ball they are easier to hang onto.

I took advantage of the only nice day this week and went shooting with my Crockett. Yesterday I made a loading block for it and it was great. It's pretty easy to load the block on a bench and really easy to start the ball and patch into the gun. Thanks for the advice.

Cool, glad I could help. Mine came in yesterday and I took the opportunity to shoot it this morning. The hard part for me was getting the tiny ball's sprue pointed up. I custom turned a jag but the .32-.36 ball starter I got from TOW was still too large IMO. I also ended up cutting the patch at the muzzle.

BTW, who makes a conical mold for .32?

OP, are you wanting to do this cause you feel you can't sell the kit? Those kits go for like $388 new You could get a decent used 40 or 50 cal sidelock from a gunshow or decent gun shop with the proceeds

Latest posts

Back