• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions 1851 Coly Navy ?'s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, first questions:

1. I have two lbs of FFG triple seven. Will that be safe to run through this pistol? From what I understand, the pressures will be different from standard BP/Pyrodex, so I'll need to use less, right? (eg. 30gr/BP = 20gr/trip-7)

2. If anyone already owns one, what size caps fit best on stock nipples? I'll upgrade them, like many have recommended, but that'll have to wait a bit. I'd like to stay away from pinching them so they stay.

Thx in advance!

1) You have the right idea about using the repro powder. One thing to watch for is getting the ball down on the powder; it might mean adding some filler or wads.
2)I don't know about this, but I'm willing to bet someone will be along and give you the right answer.

#10 caps should be right and you can use the ffg its just not the best thing to use. Most here will recommend Real black powder fffg. I have used Pyrodex P with good results but prefer the real stuff. Do you have the .36 caliber or do you have a .44? I would start with a 15 grain charge for a .44 and work up from there. You can actually just load the cylinder to the top with powder and press the ball in on top of that and that would be your maximum load. This is usually overkill for most revolvers and can be detrimental over time to the brass framed revolvers, especially Colts without the top strap over the cylinder.

Mike Brooks said:
DO NOT COMPRESS 777! You'll get dangerously high pressures.
Compress as in how? Are you talking about while seating the ball, or something else?

GG: it's the .44 version. Not authentic, I know, but it's BIGGER!! :haha:

Forgot to ask... when I buy after-market nipples, should I get bigger ones to fit #11's (or can that even be done)?

Tresso Cones come in #11 caps for your revolver.

Compressing the load when you seat the ball is what they are referring to, with 777 powder you want to use the rammer to get the ball into the chamber & then just have it sit on the powder not compress it like you can do with real Black, it taks practice to perfect the right amount of pressure but can be done.

bdhutier said:
1. I have two lbs of FFG triple seven. Will that be safe to run through this pistol? From what I understand, the pressures will be different from standard BP/Pyrodex, so I'll need to use less, right? (eg. 30gr/BP = 20gr/trip-7)
ffg 777 is safe to use in your revolver. However, three things to keep in mind: first, it does burn hotter and produce higher pressures, so reduce your load by 15% from what you would use with real black powder or Pyrodex. For example, if your real black load is 25 gr by volume, use .85x25=21 gr by volume of 777. And since it's ffg rather than fffg I'd round it down to 20 or even a bit less.

Second, 777 is sensitive to compression as has been mentioned. I'm not aware of any issue with it producing dangerous pressures due to compression, but it will produce inconsistent results due to incomplete burning if compressed, and may even fail to ignite at times. Raider's advice is worth heeding.

Third, it ignites at a higher temperature than real black, so standard caps may at times fail to set it off, especially with the compression issue. Some have reported better results with so-called 'magnum' caps. Some people duplex their loads, using a few grains of real black between the 777 and the cap to ensure ignition.

bdhutier said:
2. If anyone already owns one, what size caps fit best on stock nipples?
Frankly, cap size is a manure shoot. There is no standard definition of what a No. 10 cap or a No. 11 cap is, and even if there was there's no way a piece of stamped metal with a chemical paste inserted in it can be controlled to .001 inches and still cost 4 cents. So even within, say, No. 10 caps, there's significant variation. Add to that the variance in nipple geometries amongst manufacturers who are trying to guess what the latest cap sizes really are and you get chaos.

So, the best answer is to buy some and try them. You're likely to invest up to $20 buying different brands and sizes before you find one that fits. Until you need to buy another batch and find out they've changed...

Outstanding! I really appreciate everyone's advice and input. Although it's a tad unnerving at the same time, it's also really cool that BP is such a try-and-see hobby. Like tuning an engine, you can read the book all you want, but you've just gotta "mess with it" until you find the sweet spot where she's just right.

Can't wait!!!

Ok, now I'm on the great cap-hunt... I'm thinking I'd be better off replacing the OEM nipples, and getting some Ampco replacements to avoid trying to find the right fit. Here in SW OK, it's hard enough to find what you need @ wally world, forget about BP caps. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I believe the size I need are 6x.75mm, correct? Any idea if they will fit #11's? It seems most of the Ampcos fit #11.

My usual words of caution.

When buying nipples for a Cap & Ball Revolver always make sure you are buying nipples that are for Pistols.

The nipples made for rifles have similar thread sizes but they are MUCH longer and they will not work in a revolver.

I guess I could say the same thing about buying nipples for a rifle. Pistol nipples will work in them but they will work poorly because they are very short and the hammer alignment will not be correct.

Back