• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy and a hammer: life lesson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stripped the blue off the cylinder with BC blue remover, used Brass tarnish I bought from Jim Kibler on the grip frame, and stripped the shiny finish off the grips. I was going to oil the grips but my greasy Bore Butter hands did a finish of their own today while at the range. I also toned down the color case with 3M scotch-brite red pads. I sent 40 or so rounds downrange again. 12 yard standing accuracy was excellent, and 20 yard good as well. Benched it at 25 and decent group too. This thing shoots to point of aim pretty much. I am using 17 grains of 3F and bore butter on top of the ball. I can’t be any happier with it.
B9FF11AB-5322-4549-ACD8-9B74DE1C0D1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Man, that is cool. The Navies and Armies are just beautiful revolvers with great lines. I do like the antique finishes, though i don't own one...yet. for those wanting to strip bluing, toilet bowl cleaner. You squirt it on and the blue disappears, now. To age the brass trigger guard on my 58 i rubbed it down with the first patch through the bore and set it aside. Works great and gets the proper aged look cause you get the correct wear patterns. Thanks again for sharing.

I doubt I'll be able to add a photo, im not very computer adept. I work with my hands, not computers. Sorry about that. I can try later, i have errands to run, I'll see what i can do

There you go Cyrus P, i managed to muddle through it. Dont know how that 1860 got in there, its not mine? The black has kind of a natural rubber look to it, i prefer it to brass.

That Remington was my first percussion revolver, ive had it 20 years. It's been my workhorse, it's seen a lot of shooting, ball and conical. Its been through experiments, plinking, shot a big doe and some varmints. I made the grips years ago. I sometimes think about aging it, but i like its honest look. I think I'll fit a new hand to it and call it a day. Your navy makes me want to age one. I have an Uberti London Navy, but NOT THAT ONE! They make new ones every day

You know, Cyrus, maybe wiping that whole gun with your cleaning patches might age it nicely. Hmmm. It took some time to age that trigger guard, maybe you could sneak up on the look you're after. If you try it, keep us in the loop. I need to find one now. I see Pietta makes a .44 cal 51 Navy London model.....

You made those grips? Wow! Excellent job. I agree about wiping with dirty patches. As far as London models, I am a fan. I’ll share pics soon of a Taylor’s Uberti 1861 London that is superb.

Last edited:
Back