• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional hunting and florescent orange

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onojutta a good post!

Sure I would love to hunt in traditional and or camouflage clothing but I just don’t think it is wise to hunt w/o some florescent orange on today, especially if you hunt public land. broknaero made a good point even when hunting on private land,“ 3 trespassers slipping over from the neighboring club. All in camo. Thats why I wear orange. “
Today, every one that “I hunt with” wares florescent orange on their head and chest. Not only do my son and I ware florescent orange on our head & chest but we also ware a florescent orange vest under our hunting coat. When we take off our coat to drag or gut a deer we are afforded the protection of florescent orange. Wearing it has never prevented us from taking deer.
As far as the training and education of a hunter, I totally agree with the need for it. But just because you were taught or educated the proper way to hunt safely does not mean that the other guy in the woods had any training and education or has the same common sense you might poses! Shooting before day light, in the dark, in low light, at an unidentified target or at moving brush is “totally wrong” but it happens every year. All one has to do is spend a few sessions shooting at a public range you get a good idea of what you are up against while you are hunting on public state game lands. Florescent orange is not the cure all for being shot but I believe it is an added level of protection. For my son and I, wearing it in not something I will debate over”¦”¦ we just ware it

Good Hunting
.690RB

Onojutta, you started a good post here. It's funny that you brought this up because, the past 2 days two friends and myself did a traditional hunt and were talking about this very subject. All agreed that we didn't like the HO but we wouldn't like getting shot even more! I too was surprised at how well the color stands out at all hours of the day, it works. Thank you for a good post and stay safe! :thumbsup:

I don't worry about it. I've hunted in colonial garb, and in camos. It is extremely rare for me to encounter another hunter in the woods this time of year. In the dark, I always carry a flashlight, no matter the season. I have yet to see a deer carrying a flashlight. :haha:

Interesting how states vary in their requirements. In WI, blaze orange is required in all deer hunting seasons, regardless. If a hat is worn, at least 50% must be orange. These are the rules, however - over the years I've seen numerous variations (and violations) of this. Considering the mindset of many hunters these days....I would not even consider hunting deer in WI without full visibility blaze orange outer wear. Too many people are careless and too many are over focused on "getting a deer or getting a trophy buck" and they are not safe about target identification when they pull the trigger. I've been a hunter safety instructor for 17 years and the annual accident reports that the public never see or reads - supports my opinion(s) regarding carelessness. As some have already stated - I'll wear the orange and hopefully I will not be shot while hunting.

Regards, Vic

I remember working at a gun/bait and Tackle shop in the 80's and camo Orange came out. We sold a ton of of coats and hats. The following year the State came out with a Solid orange law, so all vests, coats had to be solid 500 square inches and all hats 200 square inches. There was a lot of upset people that year. Couldn't blame em, they spent a lot of money on something they now couldn't use.

I always wear at least a BO wool cap or Stetson -type hat, even during the late flint season here in PA. I know most of the "orange army" is out of the woods, but you still have some people that shoot at anything that moves.

We just returned from a sika hunt in VA a few weeks ago and they take it farther then PA. BO camo is not allowed, must be pure BO, at least on Assateague NWR where we were hunting.

Back