• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tradition Davy Crockett.32 cal. Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger6581

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can a Crockett .32 cal percussion rifle be converted to flintlock? I really want to get the rifle kit but would rather have flint and it’s looks like they only sell percussion.

Wondering if anyone has ever convert percussion to flint.

Thanks

Anything can be done. It could be done.
But the effort and expense would be soooo much as to make it not feasible.

The first issue to be addressed is where are you going to find a replacement flintlock? Do you want to be able to interchange between percussion and flint?

Second, this is a Traditions style breech with the drum threaded into the breech. Getting a flint touch hole lined up with the powder chamber will surely challenge any machinist.

When all is said and done, you will have a rifle that is probably worth a lot less than what you will have invested in money and time. You will be better served by finding a used 32 caliber flint rifle and you will probably spend less money.

I have converted a standard pistol and rifle (not a Traditions Crockett) from percussion to flint. I had the lock, the breech was the simple breech, and I made the touch hole liner from a stainless steel bolt. Finding a metric stainless steel bolt was the hardest part of the conversion. So, yes, it can be done, but I don't recommend doing the conversion for a Crockett.

I appreciate the insight and suggestions. Wasn't sure it could be been and I've taking a step back to ponder more about it. I'll be at SHOT Show in Vegas in a few week and will stop by the Traditions booth and have a chat.....maybe I could get them to make a few Crockett flinters….you never know.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks Bernie.

I would attempt the conversion if I could find a lock
Did you attempt the conversion and if so exactly what lock in size did you use and where did you get it please post detailed information. Because I am in the same boat but I have many years of CNC milling and Shop experience and I see it highly feasible to do the conversion. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely: Michigun Prepper.

Call L&R Locks and ask them if they have a lock that will work with your rifle. They are really nice and knowledgeable folks that will tell you if they have one that will work. I'll include the link at the bottom of the post. If they have a lock that will work with the Crocket, your next order of business would be to make the conversion piece for the barrel. I made my own for a Traditions KY rifle kit I had for years with some guidance from another member and as far as I know no one sells this part. Look up flintlock conversions in the search bar and it should bring up the older threads. There is plenty discussed on the subject that will be of help. The conversion piece will cost you about $2.00 for the bolt and about $10 for a liner if you do the work yourself, but the lock cost me $224.00 shipped to my door. RPL Locks

Attachments

• KY rifle insert 6.jpg
    KY rifle insert 6.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 0
  • KY rifle insert 1.jpg
    KY rifle insert 1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
You'll have to do some checking, but some of Traditions other flintlocks use a small lock plate the same size as the Crockett, I believe I read that is their flintlock trapper model. I tried to search for the article that I read a year or two ago but couldn't find it.

That a clean conversion @Trapper Scott! Didn’t know it was that straightforward. And the L&R folks will have the answer.
Thank you, Sir. I can't remember the member that talked me through it, but it wasn't too tough. The hardest thing was timing the sleeve so the open port was pointed down the bore when tightened up to make the best use of the flash hole. I think the fellow's name was VAN, but I could be wrong because I don't remember much of anything anymore.
Here is the size bolt that fit my Traditions.
1671149950666.png

Well it was a neat conversion, didn’t know that part existed. And don’t feel bad about not remembering. It’s scary the things I forget now.
Yeah. Some days I do pretty well while other day's I'm like an addled goose. I wake up in a new world every morning. I forget the simplest things. Oh well, it sure beats the alternative and I consider myself very blessed. The conversion part has to be made using a fine thread metric bolt. Cut the head off, drill and tap the center for a flash hole liner, then cut to length and create the port. Timing is everything on the port and getting the old drum out was a little tough as you can tell by the marks I left on the barrel.

Yeah. Some days I do pretty well while other day's I'm like an addled goose. I wake up in a new world every morning. I forget the simplest things. Oh well, it sure beats the alternative and I consider myself very blessed. The conversion part has to be made using a fine thread metric bolt. Cut the head off, drill and tap the center for a flash hole liner, then cut to length and create the port. Timing is everything on the port and getting the old drum out was a little tough as you can tell by the marks I left on the barrel.
Wouldn’t it be something to have the time we have now and the health and energy of even just 10 years ago. But as you said Life is a blessing.

Back