• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Muskets; Pede vs. India-made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In researching Trade Muskets, I recently got an old Gostomsky North Star, and am happy with it. I was just thinking about the new Pedersolis which are obviously modern factory- made, and, in my opinion, need "de-farbing" to age and mellow out the modern finish. Whereas, the India-made Trade from Military Heritage has a bit more "mellow" look to it, not so bright and "new" if you get my drift. I almost bought the MH one, knowing it may need tweeking of the lock, etc., Just my feeling on the subject, funny how if you think about something hard enough, sometimes it jumps out at you!

I have a Pedersoli and a Loyalist Arms trade gun. The Pedersoli should never have left the factory, but since I bought it second hand, no warranty. They botched installation of one of the ramrod thimbles as well as the hardening of the frizzen. Still once attended to it shoots fine.

My LA trade gun I painted the stock with oil based paint. It kills squirrels fine. Now if I had a North Star to start..., I wouldn't be an owner of the two that I have.

LD

My ped trade gun shot fine from new. With respect to LDs experiences that I genuinely believe I think those are small exceptions not the rule.

Mine has very fast and reliable ignition. Having said that, since getting my fusil de chasse I've barely shot it.

I have been very happy with my Pedersoli Trade Gun sourced from Dixie a few months back, except for the horrible serpent I removed and replaced with a couple of brass washers. There is one small bobble in the wood where the CNC router got wonkey a little but I don't notice it anymore and it could be fixed by somebody that wanted to refinish that area (or the whole stock). All in it is a fine gun for the money and shoots very well.

I want a nicer 20 gauge "Fowler" someday but in the meantime the Pedersoli scratches that itch. And in respect to LD I understand getting a lemon every now and then. I bought a brand new Uberti 1851 last year (or the year before? time flies) that NEVER should have shipped. I sent it back and the replacement is perfect. Seems a lot of outfits are using the customer/end user as their QC department these days.

The pedi trade gun has several points wrong, and I don’t know why. That said it’s a good looking gun.
Think of a Indian gun as a kit. It has to be twiked but also turns out a good looking gun.
A kit from a reputable company can turn out the best, as North Star quit.

I have been very happy with my Pedersoli Trade Gun sourced from Dixie a few months back, except for the horrible serpent I removed and replaced with a couple of brass washers. There is one small bobble in the wood where the CNC router got wonkey a little but I don't notice it anymore and it could be fixed by somebody that wanted to refinish that area (or the whole stock). All in it is a fine gun for the money and shoots very well.

I want a nicer 20 gauge "Fowler" someday but in the meantime the Pedersoli scratches that itch. And in respect to LD I understand getting a lemon every now and then. I bought a brand new Uberti 1851 last year (or the year before? time flies) that NEVER should have shipped. I sent it back and the replacement is perfect. Seems a lot of outfits are using the customer/end user as their QC department these days.
Gosh! The whole idea of the Serpent is central to Trade Guns. Apparently the Natives insisted upon it as a true 'trademark' of the type. To each his own, though! Removing the Serpent from a Trade Gun is almost like removing the Flying Woman from the hood of your Rolls Royce!:)

Gosh! The whole idea of the Serpent is central to Trade Guns. Apparently the Natives insisted upon it as a true 'trademark' of the type. To each his own, though! Removing the Serpent from a Trade Gun is almost like removing the Flying Woman from the hood of your Rolls Royce!:)
About 1850 there is a photo of a westren tribes man with a necklace made up of side plates. I would not be surprised if parts were cannibalized. There is a lot scrapers and arrowheads made from butt plates

About 1850 there is a photo of a westren tribes man with a necklace made up of side plates. I would not be surprised if parts were cannibalized. There is a lot scrapers and arrowheads made from butt plates
That's interesting! BTW, the Rolls Royce lady is "Winged Victory"! A necklace made up of sideplates, how cool is that?

Arrowheads were made perfectly from the bands that went around wooden barrels, too. Thin and strong, easy to fashion into arrow points.

I have a Pedersoli and a Loyalist Arms trade gun. The Pedersoli should never have left the factory, but since I bought it second hand, no warranty. They botched installation of one of the ramrod thimbles as well as the hardening of the frizzen. Still once attended to it shoots fine.

My LA trade gun I painted the stock with oil based paint. It kills squirrels fine. Now if I had a North Star to start..., I wouldn't be an owner of the two that I have.

LD
My North Star I stumbled across at an auction, just as I was getting interested in Trade Muskets. Had I not seen that, I was going to get perhaps a Military Heritage trade gun.

Beat me to it!

Yeah, I was definitely thinking about the wooden type of barrels that you age whiskey and stuff in and not gun barrels when I made that comment. Sometimes we say things that make us seem more clever than we are.

Latest posts

Back