• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun Stock Blank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10 Ga.

Plainsman
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of starting work on a trade gun. I have some previous experience with gunsmithing. I also have some materials from Rob M to help start the process. The main question I have is what dimensions should I be looking at for a plank of wood to cut a blank from. I hope to track down the Amish wood mill near my home town to get some local black walnut. It would link the rifle to the woods I learned to hunt in which would be very neat.

~10Ga

Barrel width + 3/8” max allowance per side at the breach and max width of buttplate will determine how wide the plank needs to be. Barrel length + 18” should give you plenty of room on length for standard 13-14” lop.

Ask Rob, he's sawed out one or two from a board.

I made one from a rough-sawn 8/4 x 8" plank but I used every splinter of the top and bottom and angled the forearm across the grain.

Hey bud... I can give you stock blank measurements tomorrow ....ifn I forget remind me ! I like 2" thick as a minimum . Ive made them out of thinner but man , theyd better be D@MN straight if they are ! Well ship .....let me grab a tape ....its rain in cats an dogs out there ......these are minimum dimensions and for a Barnett N.W. trade gun , keep in mind , ea h style is different ....8" x58" long x2" thick ....watch for cracks , checks ,heart wood and sap wood.... You want none in your pattern ....naturally. My Amish neighbors always treat me right when I'm in need of walnut ...like Mike said , Dry wood ! If not ...get it overly long , paint the ends , write the date on it and toss it in the corner ...see it in 2 years ... Ya need any info ,help if I can ... just holler at me ... Best of luck bud !

Attachments

• IMG_20231231_201642.jpg
    IMG_20231231_201642.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help! I will keep an eye out. I know prices will vary but what price would you say is to high for a blank of this size? Just want a ballpark before I start looking in earnest.

-10Ga

Thanks everyone for your help! I will keep an eye out. I know prices will vary but what price would you say is to high for a blank of this size? Just want a ballpark before I start looking in earnest.

-10Ga
Well ...unfortunately it really depends ... I can buy a plank that will yield two stocks for 100 , so 50 each ...ive bough some Big ones and got three stocks so 35 ish a piece , a rarity ... Ive seen builders on here say they were paying 150 for a walnut blank ( Wow ) so ....I'd say 50-150 bucks is your range ... If you know any builders I'd certainly ask them see if you can get a deal from them....best of luck

Latest posts

Back