• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun barrel Lengths from "For Trade and Treaty" book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Used the book, For Trade and Treaty, to start at its page 25 to make a tally from the columns of imports using the Google app Sheets. Once this tally was done, made a quick and dirty graph. From the data on the left, the bulk of the trade guns that were documented in that book had barrels of either 36 or 42" long.

TradeGunLength.PNG

Last edited:
The term “Trade Gun” is as generic as “Kentucky rifle”. A lot is known about specific types made during specific periods. There sure was a lot of variability across all types and all times. Even some orders placed for trade guns indicate a mix of lengths were present from a single supplier in a single order.

But, it’s not wise to think that the variability in length extended to all types from all countries. I’ve never seen short barrels on French trade guns.

I like looking at the Trigger reach numbers in the book For Trade and Treaty and then looking at the visual appearances of the various buttstock lengths.
The book does a great job with details of the guns the book presents.

The term “Trade Gun” is as generic as “Kentucky rifle”. A lot is known about specific types made during specific periods. There sure was a lot of variability across all types and all times. Even some orders placed for trade guns indicate a mix of lengths were present from a single supplier in a single order.

But, it’s not wise to think that the variability in length extended to all types from all countries. I’ve never seen short barrels on French trade guns.
I specified the source of the data as it is regarded as a definitive source on the topic.
I am not under any delusion that the 10,678 shown represents the entirety of trade musket imports but rather a scholarly sample of known data.

I specified the source of the data as it is regarded as a definitive source on the topic.
I am not under any delusion that the 10,678 shown represents the entirety of trade musket imports but rather a scholarly sample of known data.
For Treaty and Trade is a good resource. If you want definitive, go get the Volume 1 of the Encyclopedia of Trade Goods sold by the Museum of the Fur Trade.

I see Mr. Meek and several of you folks talking about trade guns and mentioning the book For Trade and Treaty. I sold Ryan R. Gale (Author of this book) several NW Trade Guns a few years ago, very nice person to deal with. Ryan's book is still available at $35.99 at Amazon, well done material.

Back