• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Trade Gun/Fowler barrel profile?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey you! ;)

One thing that kind of miffs me is today most (nearly all) trade gun and fowler repros use barrels that are far thicker than the originals.

On English trade guns, the barrels are thin and very lightweight. The Indians wanted lightweight guns and the originals were in the 4.5-5.5lbs range.

Just look at pictures of the muzzles on originals if you don’t believe me. They’re out there.

Instead, today we’ve got thick and heavy barrels that give us guns in the 7-9lbs range on average.

Why is this? You’d think with todays advanced in metallurgy it could be easily done. Even the barrels on modern unmentionable shotguns are often very thin.

Here’s the muzzle of an original early Northwest trade gun (top) compared to my repro with a Colerain barrel on bottom:

B3980609-9E1D-41F2-988F-0419AC157A72.png

3DD96822-7331-4447-AEB5-8BE18993E718.jpeg

It’s a huge difference. My barrel must be 2-3 times heavier than an original.

So is it just liability? Or lack of attention to detail from out barrel makers of today? Or something else?

Thanks!

I think one reason may be that they use a single barrel profile to accommodate multiple bore sizes. Matt Denison of the now defunct North Star West made a point of the fact that his barrels were profiled specifically for each bore size.

R.E. Davis used to sell a Type D French fusil kit with a properly profiled barrel. Proper length too.., 46” if I remember correctly.*

Thick barrels don’t annoy me as much as “turtle” front sights.

Notchy Bob

*LATE EDIT: The R.E. Davis kit is still shown on their website, but I don't know if it is still actually available or not. It has a 48" barrel, not 46", so I got that detail wrong, but it is evidently copied directly from an original. I don't know if the barrel is available separately or not. Check it out here: R.E. Davis French "Fine Fusil" Kit

Last edited:
I think the liability aspect does come into it. UK shotguns need be thin in the barrels & light guns preferred as you carry it all day and it would handle poorly other wise .Plus all must pass proof so the maker is covered , But the US tastes it seems ran to heavy probably more a' stalk & bladder away' thinking as a rule or so it would seem .North Star offered barrels of 1"AF in 12 bore but they stood UK proof fine The typical Farmers knockabout tool is just that , so barrels are made stouter that needed . At the end of the day the customer is always right , even if he's a blithering idiot .
Rudyard

I used a Colerain 46" 16 ga fowler barrel to make this fowler. I utilized a French military lock, trigger guard with a French fowler butt plate, all steel. The barrel is advertised as 3.7 pounds. The resultant gun weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces. And with the swamped barrel, it
fullsizeoutput_2bd2.jpeg
balances and points very nicely.
B0B995C4-F14D-44C3-AC3F-8CDF668A7F31.jpeg

02035539-D6C2-4176-B08D-4771A4450165.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe make barrels from something other than 12L14? My Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket has a wall thickness at the muzzle of .1012" Pedersoli makes their barrels from chromoly steel. Usually 4140 or 4150. How thick is the wall thickness on a Colerain or Rice fowler? I have a Colerain barreled Dutch fowler, but it is buried in the backroom in a locked cabinet or I would measure it.

@Notchy Bob

What's wrong with turtle front sights? Legitimate question.
Thanks for asking! It is a legitimate question.

It’s mostly a matter of personal preference, but I’m not aware of turtle sights being used on any original trade guns or fowling pieces. As far as I know, they aren’t authentic. There may be an old trade gun out there that has a turtle sight, but I haven’t ever seen one. I’ll be the first to admit I haven’t seen them all, though. However, even if we can scare up an original gun that has one, I think they are over-represented these days. Kind of like the snake effigy fire strikers, I guess. We know those did exist, but not very many of them. I just don’t go for a lot of foo-fer-aw with my guns and gear.

With that said, nowadays we (myself included) use lots of kit that isn’t authentic. In fact, I have a Jackie Brown fowling piece that has a turtle front sight, and it works fine. I would have preferred a plain fusil sight, but Jackie likes the turtle, so that’s what I got, and it ain’t worth the effort to replace it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks for asking! It is a legitimate question.

It’s mostly a matter of personal preference, but I’m not aware of turtle sights being used on any original trade guns or fowling pieces. As far as I know, they aren’t authentic. There may be an old trade gun out there that has a turtle sight, but I haven’t ever seen one. I’ll be the first to admit I haven’t seen them all, though. However, even if we can scare up an original gun that has one, I think they are over-represented these days. Kind of like the snake effigy fire strikers, I guess. We know those did exist, but not very many of them. I just don’t go for a lot of foo-fer-aw with my guns and gear.

With that said, nowadays we (myself included) use lots of kit that isn’t authentic. In fact, I have a Jackie Brown fowling piece that has a turtle front sight, and it works fine. I would have preferred a plain fusil sight, but Jackie likes the turtle, so that’s what I got, and it ain’t worth the effort to replace it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Fair enough. I have several books detailing trade arms. Most have detailed pictures. Without digging them out, now that I really think about it, I think you are right.

My trade gun is 7 lbs and doesn'tfeel heavy. It has a turtle sight also. I was kinda worried that the wrist might get a Crack in it, seems kinda thin but the stock has really held up over the years.

My Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket's advertised weight is 7 1/4# but actually weighs a hair under 7#.

Latest posts

Back