• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun Barrel Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a trade rifle. I have a Lyman GPR and would like to add a smooth bore that I can use for small game and maybe deer down the road.

So my question is - The NSW has three barrel lengths to choose from 30, 36, or 41.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what one would be best? I would lean toward the 30 but have no experience with them so am looking for advise. Thanks

I don't have a NSW gun but I do have a TVM fowler w/ a 42" barrel. I would suggest staying on the longer side, 36" or 41". I've heard great things about NSW guns. Let us know what you decide. Best regards.

I like long barreled guns, but if you want to shoot shot I recomend the 36 over the longer one. :idunno:

I have a nice one with a 42" barrel. If I were to buy another it would be a 36" barrel.

I use the flintlock for WhiteTail deer with PRB and Turkey with shot. I handled a 36" recently and it seems much "quicker" to point than my 42". I guess it just felt better to me.

I have always gone with a 30 to 36 in. barrel. mostly 31. I hunt and it is eaier to handle in heavy brush. I find no difference in accuracy. also les bend if stock warps.

I have a early English trade gun and an English fowling piece....the trade gun has a 39 and the fowling piece has a 44... I like both lengths for what I use them for.....trade gun for rabbits, works great with the shorter bbl in the brush...and pheasants and grouse with the fowler...either will work for the game, these are just my preferences

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fusil de chase with a 42 inch barrel ( the originals were longer) and a NWG with a 36 inch barrel. The NWG is a little lighter, but in the woods I find the heavier gun more comfortable to carry. I don't know if it's the balance or what, but walking along trecking or hunting I find the FDC less fatiguing to carry. I find both comfortable to shoot and I believe if God wanted you to shoot of hand he wouldn't have created so many things to use as a rest, and the different barrel lengths don't seam to effect the shooting.

Obviously it is simply foolhardy to buy a short barrel when for the same cost you can get additional barrel length :hmm: . It's just a matter of wise economics; you get more for your money.

I have a NSW Trade gun with a 41 1/2 20/.62 barrel. Handles very well. Prefer it to shorter barrels.

The Northwest Gun; Hanson: p26
gun purchases 1850. Thru 1855 about same.

Schuckard & Gebhard (Belgian)
60 with 30" bbls
60 with 33" bbls
60 with 36" bbls
40 with 42" bbls

(No Name Given )Imported from England
300 with 30" bbls
200 with 33" bbls
200 with 36" bbls.

Not necessarily representative of bbl lengths bought, I would estimate 10% were 30" bbls., however 30-33 short bbls were approximately 1/4 (my est. too lazy to do the math ) overall most were 36"; 42" and still the 48" made.

You record is from the 1850s, although shorter guns were sold before. Most of the NWG went to Indians, although not all, and Indians were picky about what they bought. Guns had been getting shorter in general style for some time.
Turned on the tv this morning and pawn stars was on the history channel. I haven't watched the show for a couple of years, but it caught my interest as A brown bess was being offered for sale. The story was it was owned by an AWI soldier and they had a photo of the man in his 90s with a stand of several muskets. One was a musket with about a 24 inch barrel...don't know if it was used on a canoe :grin:

Back