• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlander73

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a decent US made hawk I came across the line of cast tomahawks that Track sells. They are cast of 4140 Steel. I personally like the British Military hawk. Anybody know anything about these??? How do they hold up for an edge?
Highlander

The cast hawks are O.K., but I've come to prefer the forged ones. Are you just looking for a camp axe or are you looking for a period correct hatchet for trekking and re-enacting?

The cast line from Track are Great! We have 5. The french, viking, new reliable and two of the tiny reliable. We only bought 2 the others where won in comp.
I do bring a file and stone to put a keen edge on when compitition is high, for slicing cards.
The 4140 isn't a real hard steel. Some of the "blocks" you throw at can have left over pieces of someone elses knife or hawk, or if the kids start playing "handles" they will take a nick to the edge,,but they can be easily sharpend back enough to shave hairs with.

I'm lookin for a user...all purpose, trekking camping,and occasional throwing. We do a hawk throw from time to time as an added bonus to our shoot every month. So I wont be throwing it that much. For practice I own 2 Crazy Crow hawks that have done well( had to be retempered).
Do you use those cast hawks for camp use as well Necchi ??? Or are they strictly for competition???

Thanks
Highlander

My best hawk is from Pioneer Arms Co Broomall PA. They are a cast hawk and have good balance. Bernie stands behind them. Good guy to deal with. I paid 36.00 for mine shipped to my door. Now 41.50. He's in the Links,has a web site. We bought 3 from him. You can cut the card in half with them and they hold a good edge. Best I found in 25yrs. Ph No.610-356-5203. Try one you will like it. :thumbsup: Dilly

Their mainly compition. I'll use'm around camp for spliting kindling an such but none of the styles I listed have a poll end for heavy hammering. I wouldn't use them to drive 12" steel stakes in dry ground, nor as a spliting wedge for hardwood logs.
I tend to keep a small "footprint" while trecking and camping and use mostly indian wood (stuff ya can pick-up)for stuff in camp. The Hawk your looking at has a poll end, I've had one in my hands, it's a nice hawk. I guess I responded to attest to the steel, it's a good grade for the common man, sturdy and capable of being easily sharpend. They ship them un-sharpend so the purchaser don't cut himself I guess, but a half dozen strokes on each side with a 6" bastard file and yer good to go.
They beat the quailty of the "India" made CrazyCrow hawks hands down!

The Crazy Crow hawks will get you by but the others are a lot better, I still have my CC poll Hawk but I have not used it much. I can't throw in competition anymore so the poll is what is the best part about them to me. One thing good about the CC hawks is you won't feel to bad if you somehow get home without it :wink:

My wife uses a neat little hawk forged by John Donelson years ago. I use a bag axe that was forged by Jack Vargo of Beaver River Trading Company. Both are great trekking axes and camp axes. They are both heavy enough to deal with low impact trekking/camping needs and light enough to carry easily. I no longer recall what we paid for them, but whatever the cost they were well worth it.

I've used Beaverbill Hawks for many years now. :thumbsup: They are all hand forged and of Excellant quality :) He makes many other styles also You can view these at:www.beaverbill.com :hatsoff:

Back