• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale Whitworth vs. Volunteer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Coates

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am interested in getting into long range target shooting. I hav had PH muskets on and off. Since the 1970s. I currently have the carbine and 2-band.

Q: Is there a source that explains the differences between the PH Whitworth and the PH Volunteer?

I am sseeing multiple rifling choices, 2 or 3 band, …

Am I correct PH made rigby rifling or Whitworth? (The Volunteer having Rigby)

I am also considering a Pedersoli Whitworth as an option.

Am I correct that historically, Rigby rifling replaced Whitworth and was ore accurate and easier to use?

All info is greatly appreciated.

PH rights are now owned by Pedersoli.
Currently Pedersoli Whitworth is 3 band ( as were PH)
Pedersoli Volunteer is 2band and has conventional rifling. (PH Vol 3 band has Rigby (limited production), 2band Alexander Henry).
The Whitworth will take more effort to shoot well.

Pedersoli Volunteer is 2band and has conventional rifling. (PH Vol 3 band has Rigby (limited production), 2band Alexander Henry).
you are very helpful and I appreciate it. Since reading your postings a few years ago I have bought one pedersoli Gibbs, one Don Brown kit (I lucked into for $600) and one Rod England kit, Thank you 52bore.

you are very helpful and I appreciate it. Since reading your postings a few years ago I have bought one pedersoli Gibbs, one Don Brown kit (I lucked into for $600) and one Rod England kit, Thank you 52bore.
No problem.
Bring 1 or all to Tennessee for the ‘Creedmoor 150’ Anniversary match in October!

I am interested in getting into long range target shooting. I hav had PH muskets on and off. Since the 1970s. I currently have the carbine and 2-band.
Q: Is there a source that explains the differences between the PH Whitworth and the PH Volunteer?
I am sseeing multiple rifling choices, 2 or 3 band, …
Am I correct PH made rigby rifling or Whitworth? (The Volunteer having Rigby)
I am also considering a Pedersoli Whitworth as an option.
Am I correct that historically, Rigby rifling replaced Whitworth and was ore accurate and easier to use?
All info is greatly appreciated.
The P-H Whitworth is styled as a military target rifle and has the characteristic hexagonal bore of the original Whitworth rifles.
The P-H Volunteer is a generic military target rifle of the 19thC. When they originally introduced the model it had a form of Rigby rifling, but this was later replaced with (Alex.) Henry rifling.
Each is a full stocked military percussion rifle, in .45 cal. They have a barrel mounted open sight. To get the best from either rifle, a wrist mounted aperture sight is advisable. In the 19thC these were typically elevation adjustment only, with windage adjustment on the foresight.

In 1865 the Gibbs-Metford with its shallow grooving and hardened bullets was introduced. Rigby also subsequently re-tooled and introduced shallow rifling on similar principles. These rifles supplanted the Whitworth.

Depending on your preferences / resources you may also consider the Pedersoli Gibbs. This comes with match sights.

Explore my web site for more history and long range muzzle loading reference.

David

What is Rigby rifling? What makes it different from the others?

I understand Whitworth (hex)
But Henry and Rigby are unclear to me.

After Whitworth and his experiments 1853-57 (Govt funded), Alexander Henry patented his famous pattern in 1860-61. And soon after, Kerr and other rifling patterns were being established for the 52bore. These are considered ‘deep’ rifling.
Rigby, then Metford established ‘shallow’ rifling to allowed the use of harder bullet (less upsetting needed).
Here are muzzles from an original Alexander Henry & Rigby match rifles from the 1860’s. Sorry as the Rigby was hard to get a good photo.
IMG_8004.jpeg

IMG_8003.jpeg

The P-H Whitworth is styled as a military target rifle and has the characteristic hexagonal bore of the original Whitworth rifles.
The P-H Volunteer is a generic military target rifle of the 19thC. When they originally introduced the model it had a form of Rigby rifling, but this was later replaced with (Alex.) Henry rifling.
Each is a full stocked military percussion rifle, in .45 cal. They have a barrel mounted open sight. To get the best from either rifle, a wrist mounted aperture sight is advisable. In the 19thC these were typically elevation adjustment only, with windage adjustment on the foresight.

In 1865 the Gibbs-Metford with its shallow grooving and hardened bullets was introduced. Rigby also subsequently re-tooled and introduced shallow rifling on similar principles. These rifles supplanted the Whitworth.

Depending on your preferences / resources you may also consider the Pedersoli Gibbs. This comes with match sights.

Explore my web site for more history and long range muzzle loading reference.

David
Great advice. I ordered and received 2 long range Baldwin sights that are A-1. He had the bases for the rifles. He just made me a set for the Rod England kit. It works great.. Your web site is VERY informative. Baldwin sights have a bubble in the front sight and windage adjustments on the tang sight. A LOT of BPCR shooters use them. I stock a lot of BPCR shooters rifles and they tell me how much they like his sights. That's how I got started using them. Thanks David.

Last edited:
Back