• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see photos of all your builds, and also some advice, do’s amd don’ts etc. the reason being, I want to get started building mBess from TOTW.
I have the metal parts, and built the lock from the kit. I have never built a gun before amd any and all help or advice would be appreciated.
only downside is there at least a six month wait for the stock from the wolf
Thanks
Kevin

I have built 3 offerings from Chambers, one from TVM, and one from Track. They all require fiddling with to get things just right. This is not derogatory, just means that you must be prepared to learn how they are laid out, what tweaks are needed, and patience to learn how to minimize mistakes you will make. The Track kit was the LH Carson Hawken. David Ripplinger, from Track- and major stakeholder in the company- told me that this was " a good third gun". He was correct. It really was #3 for me, and it was harder than a flint longrifle to build. I bought the full size plan drawing which was very helpful, used the Dixon book, which I think is the best reference, and made a nice rifle. I have used Track for many years and have called on several occasions to inquire about parts - and even asked about size measurements- and the person went to the stock room, got parts , and measured features for me. General kit Comments about moving the barrel back are true, and sometimes the lockmortise locations vary slightly from ideal alignment. I prefer inletting the lock myself. You won't learn building from a Kibler kit, so your choice depends on the comment earlier in the thread about objective- owning a nice product, or learning to build one. That said, you have to start somewhere. This Forum will give you plenty of good advice. Someone will have the answer you need.

@Kev308, take a look at this topic from Forum member @dave_person. He goes into the details of building a Brown Bess.

Pattern 1730 Brown Bess almost ready for inspection | The Muzzleloading Forum

Continue with a search of the forum for more information.

Since you have some time to wait, it will be time well spent to get some of the better books on building long rifles, which really aren't all that different from building a Brown Bess. Chuck Dixon's, "The art of Building the Pennsylvania Long Rifle" is one of the best books. There are videos out there too.

Look for the tools you will need such as chisels, scrapers, drill bits and special holding jigs for drilling the holes through the stock and underlugs to pin the stock and barrel. Decide what work you want Track to do (or not to do) before you get the stock. You may want the ramrod channel drilled if you don't have the long drill.

I built a northwest Trade Gun from Track Parts about 15 years ago. I found it an enjoyable experience. I did pay extra to have the breech plug installed.
The most challenging thing for me on this build was drilling the tang screw that runs at an angle and holds the trigger plate in place. I used a drill press and much measuring and testing before the drill and tap. You only get one chance to get it right. I was happy with the way it turned out and shoot both solid ball and shot from it.
012.jpg

My other one was a southern mountain .40 "poor boy style". I ran a thread on it in the Flintlock forum a week or so ago. I had to do some "repair" work on it recently, but it has always been a good shooter. I am what I would describe as average handy, can and do build some furniture from time to time. Nor am I very particular, my interest in guns is how they shoot.
When flintlocks make me smile at the range I know I have done what I intended.

Track component builds are a far cry from the old CVA kits I built in the 1970's.

The advantage of the TOW grade kits is that you can use it to learn the basics, without a huge investment in time or money. I built a similar one in high school, and I learned enough from the experience to know that I wanted to get serious about it.
Others in this thread have mentioned books on the subject, and I want to add one- Foxfire 5 Foxfire 5: Ironmaking, Blacksmithing, Flintlock Rifles, Bear Hunting, and Other Affairs of Plain Living (Foxfire Series): Eliot Wigginton: 9780385143080: Amazon.com: Books
In college, I bought a green mountain barrel blank, some rough lock castings, and used Foxfire Five to make everything else I needed to make a good rifle that I am still proud of. I also still have that first kit gun, which I can look at to see how far I have come.
The cost of Jim's kit versus the price of the various part sets isn't that great. The Kibler locks and triggers are beautifully made and the entire kit is of the highest quality. You will learn a lot about wood and metal finishing and perhaps a little about fitting components and not have to concern yourself about the quality of the pre-inletted stock. In short, Jim's kits are a great value.

From what I hear you might have to wait a while to get a Kibler kit also. Of course call to see how long it takes. That is just how it is with the muzzleloaders. Like necchi said, the kits are not all boxed up and ready to go. Its just a bunch of parts that they pull off the shelves. If you are looking for something specific you might have to wait on a few things. If you are not overly picky they could certainly put together a set of parts that will go together into a nice gun while you are there. You just have to call ahead. Give them idea of what you are looking for and see what they can do. It would be worth the drive just to pick out the wood.

My dad used to work right by Track of the Wold before he retired. Now he often asks me if I need anything from there just so has an excuse to go there. I used to live in one of the suburbs south of that horrible city. Minneapolis has certainly deteriorated. Stay off 35W. Loads of road work and all the local hippies decided that it is their new playground. I moved last month and now I live 15 miles from the nearest traffic light. It is wonderful!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Called KIbler today and t/w Jim. Nice conversation, very friendly and helpful. 40 caliber Mountain Kit available within week or maybe a tad, 36 caliber around 4 weeks. Seriously considering. Looked at TVM also today as 'Crow-Feather' mentioned. (Wonder if we're related-Crow-Feather/Crow Choker, LOL. I've had this handle for around 50 years-long story) The TVM kits and rifles look nice, but as mentioned alot in other posts and other threads some advertised 'kits' have parts pulled from bins and many times are out of stock. Unless an outfit has all parts available at time of ordering OR can be sure to get them within a reasonable amount of time, I don't want to wait a unspecified amount of time to receive OR get a email/letter saying they are not going to be available.

For my first build I'd like all parts available and not have to wait or try to get from another source and maybe have to try and fit a part on a pre-inletted stock that was inletted for a part unavailable. I'd be more open to trying kits from Track and others on any possible future builds after I do one such as a Kibler that has a reputation for good quality, accurate pre-inletted stocks, and available parts.
Crow Choker
[/QUOTE]
I couldn't be more pleased with my Kibler SMR. The precision is amazing. I spent a bit extra to get the higher grade of maple and and it was well worth every penny.
I plan to get on the list for the new fowler.

1630882683730.jpeg

1630882713531.jpeg

1630882741229.jpeg

1630882771027.jpeg

1630882795083.jpeg

TOTW Jaeger in .54 cal. was not the easiest. Had to braze up the bp in a couple of spots due to the wood being chipped out. Your best bet if being a first I would suggest one of Kibler's kits. I just received a Colonial and it is nice...

View attachment 92978
View attachment 92979
View attachment 92980
View attachment 92981
View attachment 92982
TOTW Jaeger in .54 cal. was not the easiest. Had to braze up the bp in a couple of spots due to the wood being chipped out. Your best bet if being a first I would suggest one of Kibler's kits. I just received a Colonial and it is nice...
Nice looking rifle you did a nice job on it. Let us know how it shoots. I am building a jaeger hope it turns out as nice.

Nice looking rifle you did a nice job on it. Let us know how it shoots. I am building a jaeger hope it turns out as nice.
It shoots good, rice barrel. gun was finished back in 2017, bought it in 2016 before I retired. Added the engraving in 2019 on the heel of the bp. Going to do more on the side plate and trigger guard as time permits...

Last edited:
Hello forum-1stpost, have been reading forum for some time, joined last Nov, but just getting around to posting. Enjoy the forum, alot of good info to be found. Have been shooting cap and ball since early 70's, bought, still have TC 45 cal Hawkin, and reload and shoot black in some Colt copy Open Top cartridge revolvers. Love them all. Have wanted a flint rifle since the early days of percussion revolver shooting, but never took the plunge. Have looked at various sellers of kits off and on over the years, but just never got one. Would like to 'bit the bullet' now. Have been looking at various sellers online and have been reading a whole bunch of posts on this forum site about the various sellers and their wares. Have been doing business with Track of the Wolf for a while and have looked at their kits alot. They seem good, have read about a few magazine writers who have gotten Track kits and gave good reviews.

Curious, haven't seen much talk about Tracks rifle kits. Is there a problem with them that everyone is steering away from them. Again, haven't read much from posters here about any 'high fives' with them. I've looked at Kibler's with alot of interest and see they get good reviews here. Only problem I have with them unless I'm not seeing the big picture is that with his Colonial kit, they are offered only in 50 plus caliber. The Southern Rifle kit has available the 36 caliber I desire, but is styled after rifles produced after 1800. I'm looking more for a style produced prior to the Revolutionary War as the Colonial kit is geared to. I don't know if Kibler offers a 36 caliber in the Colonial or not. Anyway, just wondering about Tracks rifle kits. Have looked for some time at Tracks Golden Age, Colonial, and Bucks County rifle kits. Appreciate any feedback.
Their kits can’t be to bad I ordered one several months ago many on extended back order and are not even listed on the website currently because of the number of back orders. Most I understand are due to stock availability. The kit I ordered the stock is on a 3-6 month back order. So I ordered a Kibler which was on back order but maybe at that time for a month colonial with 50 caliber barrel. Even still depending how flexible you are; SMR vice Colonial, stock type I think you can probably get something from Jim in a couple weeks give them a call. With the track kit I ordered 3 months have come and gone. I knew that going in so I really didn’t care. So if your a novice the colonial style rifle is a big if you will rifle smallest caliber is 45 and then up. The SMR is thin and long both are very nice! The SMR barrels are 45 - 32. Patience!

@Kev308, take a look at this topic from Forum member @dave_person. He goes into the details of building a Brown Bess.

Pattern 1730 Brown Bess almost ready for inspection | The Muzzleloading Forum

Continue with a search of the forum for more information.

Since you have some time to wait, it will be time well spent to get some of the better books on building long rifles, which really aren't all that different from building a Brown Bess. Chuck Dixon's, "The art of Building the Pennsylvania Long Rifle" is one of the best books. There are videos out there too.

Look for the tools you will need such as chisels, scrapers, drill bits and special holding jigs for drilling the holes through the stock and underlugs to pin the stock and barrel. Decide what work you want Track to do (or not to do) before you get the stock. You may want the ramrod channel drilled if you don't have the long drill.
Thanks will do!!

OK, FWIW!!! Was going to do a new posting, but figured since my first ever thread where I inquired about TOW kits and others got things started, I'd just do a continuation. Back in mid July I ordered a 36 cal SMR from Kibler, was advised it would be around 6 weeks. Well yesterday, (09/03) I received a well packed SMR kit from Kibler. All looks good, can't wait to fire first shot, but I'm not going to rush or slam the kit together just to do that. I hesitated for a while in ordering as I was unsure and hesitate in going with a 36 or 40 caliber. Tossed the decision around, considered it from 360* angles, but finally went with the 36 as that is what I've always envisioned for years in getting a flint long rifle.

Won't start working on it right away as I'm in the process of finishing up a CVA 45 cal "Kentucky" flint kit I bought back in around 1977-78, think for around $50.00. Yup that's right some 44 years ago. Started it at the time, but never finished, to many forays into other black powder cap and conversion revolvers and smokeless rifles and handguns. Figured that flint pistol would be a good introduction for finishing a Kibler kit. About ready to brown the barrel and Aqua Fortis the maple stock. Hope to have it done within a week or a bit more. Anyway, Kibler kit is in house, have been reading up on the forum and a few others, plus several books on flint rifle making, soooooo'---don't plan on leaving the Kibler kit in storage for 40+ years before I start on it. WOW-I'd be 116!!!!! Thanks to all who gave their input!!!! Choker of Crows!!!
I had a Dixie .40 cal. perc. kit bought around same time; never assembled it until about 35 years later! I think it was Italian, def. not Spanish, and they had a flint in the same model. It's nice! Don't recall the orig. price. Don't you all wish you'd SAVED each years Dixie Catalog? They go for big collector money! I started in the '60's, and it's STILL only 5 bucks! A real bargain!

lately track's kits have been mediocre, mostly issues with the stocks having knots or being unbalanced along the barrel channels. I had to return 2 tulle stocks to them for knots and cracks.

Their kits can’t be to bad I ordered one several months ago many on extended back order and are not even listed on the website currently because of the number of back orders. Most I understand are due to stock availability.

When I was trying to decide where to buy, what type, what degree of pre-inletting, what caliber, etc to get/buy, the gal at Jim Chambers advised me that one of the biggest holdups was stock availability. This was due to the Covid shutdowns and regarding their stocks, a big storm had destroyed so many trees that were used in stocks supplied to them, that the individual or business that pre-inlets/cuts their stocks was unable to keep up due to his supply of wood being affected and backorders. Can't say this is TOTW's problem, but if one rifle kit business is having the problem, good chance they are all behind for the same reasons. Maybe alot get from the same supplier.

Nice very nice!
When I was trying to decide where to buy, what type, what degree of pre-inletting, what caliber, etc to get/buy, the gal at Jim Chambers advised me that one of the biggest holdups was stock availability. This was due to the Covid shutdowns and regarding their stocks, a big storm had destroyed so many trees that were used in stocks supplied to them, that the individual or business that pre-inlets/cuts their stocks was unable to keep up due to his supply of wood being affected and backorders. Can't say this is TOTW's problem, but if one rifle kit business is having the problem, good chance they are all behind for the same reasons. Maybe alot get from the same supplier.
yes track told because I asked with everyone on lockdown people were buying kits like they were going out of style in addition to supply issues. Another thing we can blame on government for locking us all down and it essentially changed nothing. Thank goodness I work for a defense contractor and was considered critical I didn’t lose my job like so many others! Probably end up like a lot of fellas her who bought kits 30 years ago and are just getting to them now because they are retired LOL!

I picked up a southern mountain stock this summer from track that had not been available for a year. Suggest anyone just keep checking if you want/need one.

I picked up a southern mountain stock this summer from track that had not been available for a year. Suggest anyone just keep checking if you want/need one.
Or do like I did pay for the entire kit and when any of the back ordered parts arrive they will ship them. So I bought two kits I have every thing less the stocks. I have a lot of reading and learning to go so it’s no big deal. Plus I have what I call my teaser kit my SMR that almost builds itself. Even finding time to build that beauty I have to post pone. I really envy those in their shop or basement right now fitting parts polishing sanding carving and finishing there rifles.

Back