• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW Iroquois Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all, figured I'd show my finished Iroquois hawk, comes from Track requiring a decent amount of finish work and sharpening. This was a fun project, very happy with the finished result.

kWC4AL3.jpg

First off, here's the finished hawk, filing by hand and profiling the bit was the most time consuming portion of the build, yet much worth the efforts as it's hair popping sharp.

iOttPs2.jpg

Here I have the bit in the forge for the hardening process. You'll also see the back of the pole, it actually comes with a rather large chunk of metal that is the casting gate, which requires removal. As you can see I ground and did a good amount of file work to shape the area.

azDhZPS.jpg

Another shot of the bit in the forge and the eye which also requires a large amount of file work.

zUIQ9vx.jpg

:eek:ff After I killed the air and allowed the coals to burn down, perfect opportunity for some char cloth!

ekHXQnY.jpg

More finished shots, after quenching and tempering the bit at 450 for an hour I allowed it to cool, did a final sharpening and installed the bit on the stained hickory handle and added a few brass tacks.

63AgDw3.jpg

XWxxesc.jpg

Overall, a worthwhile project IMO. The engravings are beautifully done and out of the box the 4140 casting does require work, but takes the heat treatment process well and takes a wicked edge. The 18" hickory handle is well made and certainly should take a beating. :hatsoff:

Very impressive.

You are on a great journey. More than a re-enactor, you are reaching into your ancestry to better find yourself, and to find them within yourself.

As with any great journey, there can be hardship and peril, satisfaction and joy. Be diligent, be careful, be strong. You are doing well. The quality and thoroughness of your work speaks well for you.

Thank you for sharing.

Richard

I sincerely appreciate your words sir, truly means allot. To often in today's world ones roots can all be forgotten to easily. I take great pride in my ancestry and certainly feel I'm very fortunate to have the abilities to try and recreate that and make those who have passed on proud.

Beautiful. But remember, the prettier they are the quicker the hawk hunting morons will mess it up. And, yes, we do get morons even at a ronny. My first really pretty handle lasted about a minit first ronny I took it to. :shocked2: :cursing:

I got the same hawk from TOTW, I done my filing work and knocked off the rough edges, browned it and put a handle on it. It tosses quite well. I'm now on my third handle due to the Rondy events....first handle was nice like yours....second handle was just stained...third I hand made and it's not nice...but looks good and keeps the morons away... :wink:

It's only stained, I don't get crazy with handles because they, well break as all have mentioned! I'm glad you've had good experience throwing this particular hawk as this has been on my mind. Certainly feels well balanced in the hand and with any luck, should throw well then.

I cut about 4. Inches off the replacement handle...I think I did that to the original handle as well. An older gent told me the rule of thumb was that a throwing hawk handle shouldn't be longer than the tip of your middle finger to your elbow.....dunno if that's true or not, but it works well for me.

Is there a reason for the hardening or just personal preference? I just sanded and sharpened mine.

Absolutely there is, all tools should be properly hardened/ tempered if they haven't been already. One biggy is safety, also prolonged edge retention and extended tool life are among the others.

horner75 said:
My question: "Why would a person use a nicely finished Tomahawk and use it in a Handle Hunt match anyway"? :shocked2:

As mentioned, the handle hunters are morons. They usually just come along and start throwing without invitation. :cursing:

Latest posts

Back