• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm done with EMSS patch material.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been getting dry patches from RMC/Ox-Yoke. I've been happy with them, and measuring with my ratcheting Starrett micrometer, they tend to run from around .001" undersized to pretty close to the stated thickness.

I would like to put in a couple of words about tools. This photo shows a caliper on top and a micrometer on the bottom:

Calipers.jpg

In my mind, if I want to measure something, the caliper is a mighty handy and very accurate tool. However, if I want to mike something, the micrometer is what I use. You rotate the knurled sleeve until the posts close on the stock to be measured, then you turn the little black knob on the end of the handle until it ratchets. This provides a very consistent and accurate measurement. The master from whom I learned advised that there is no need to "crank down" on it, and in fact the tool may be damaged that way.

With the caliper, you put your stock to be measured between the jaws and rotate the crenellated wheel until the jaws close snugly, and then you read the measurement. However, it can get tricky. I measured this patch with the material between the tips of the caliper jaws, and got a measurement of .015":

Caliper & Patch 2.jpg

I then did it again, using the same caliper, same technique, and the same piece of fabric. The only difference is that I put the fabric deeper into the caliper jaws:

Caliper & Patch 1.jpg

The result was a measurement of .019", or .004" greater than before. I attributed this to flex in the caliper jaws. So, all else being equal, where you put the fabric in the caliper jaws can affect the reading.

A lot of guys measure patch material by squeezing the caliper jaws with their fingers, reasoning that this simulates the compression the fabric would undergo in loading a patched ball. It would seem to me that this practice would eventually damage the tool, not to mention that human error in squeezing might cause some variance. I believe that using a consistent, repeatable technique is important, and I don't see how forcing the tool with fingers could be done with that degree of repeatable precision.

Personally, I think the way to go is to buy several different thicknesses of patches and try them in your rifle. Use the type that works best. Try to get an accurate measurement of its thickness, using a measuring technique that will be repeatable and consistent, and won't damage your tool.

I understand that the OP's issue is that there was some batch-to-batch variation in patch thickness. A call to the vendor might help reconcile the problem. I'm wondering how much difference that variation actually makes in shooting.

Makes me wonder🤔 did our forefathers worry so much about patch thickness or just use whatever was at hand. I'm really curious about this. Any replies greatly appreciated

I found this a little while back, in Pioneer Days in the Southwest from 1850 to 1879, by Goodnight, Dubbs, Hart, et al. (page 145):

Goodnight et al. p. 145.png

Note the comment near the bottom of the quote, "...a rag for patching..." I think they may have had some preferences, but if choices were limited, they probably used what they could get.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I've been getting dry patches from RMC/Ox-Yoke. I've been happy with them, and measuring with my ratcheting Starrett micrometer, they tend to run from around .001" undersized to pretty close to the stated thickness.

I would like to put in a couple of words about tools. This photo shows a caliper on top and a micrometer on the bottom:

View attachment 226643

In my mind, if I want to measure something, the caliper is a mighty handy and very accurate tool. However, if I want to mike something, the micrometer is what I use. You rotate the knurled sleeve until the posts close on the stock to be measured, then you turn the little black knob on the end of the handle until it ratchets. This provides a very consistent and accurate measurement. The master from whom I learned advised that there is no need to "crank down" on it, and in fact the tool may be damaged that way.

With the caliper, you put your stock to be measured between the jaws and rotate the crenellated wheel until the jaws close snugly, and then you read the measurement. However, it can get tricky. I measured this patch with the material between the tips of the caliper jaws, and got a measurement of .015":

View attachment 226644

I then did it again, using the same caliper, same technique, and the same piece of fabric. The only difference is that I put the fabric deeper into the caliper jaws:

View attachment 226645

The result was a measurement of .019", or .004" greater than before. I attributed this to flex in the caliper jaws. So, all else being equal, where you put the fabric in the caliper jaws can affect the reading.

A lot of guys measure patch material by squeezing the caliper jaws with their fingers, reasoning that this simulates the compression the fabric would undergo in loading a patched ball. It would seem to me that this practice would eventually damage the tool, not to mention that human error in squeezing might cause some variance. I believe that using a consistent, repeatable technique is important, and I don't see how forcing the tool with fingers could be done with that degree of repeatable precision.

Personally, I think the way to go is to buy several different thicknesses of patches and try them in your rifle. Use the type that works best. Try to get an accurate measurement of its thickness, using a measuring technique that will be repeatable and consistent, and won't damage your tool.

I understand that the OP's issue is that there was some batch-to-batch variation in patch thickness. A call to the vendor might help reconcile the problem. I'm wondering how much difference that variation actually makes in shooting.

I found this a little while back, in Pioneer Days in the Southwest from 1850 to 1879, by Goodnight, Dubbs, Hart, et al. (page 145):

View attachment 226646

Note the comment near the bottom of the quote, "...a rag for patching..." I think they may have had some preferences, but if choices were limited, they probably used what they could get.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks for the info, Bob!!!!! Especially that last part.

I have that same caliper bought long ago at a Muzzle Loader shop called the Frontloader in Fontana, CA.

Walt

This is now the second time in a year I've bought Eastern Maine bulk patch material and it's not even close to advertised thickness. The first time was their .015" material. It actually mikes out at .011". Well that's ok I thought, because I also needed some .010" for pistols. No biggie other than I have bought several 1/2 yard packs. Now I need their .020" bulk material. I'm on my last 1/2 yard from a several pack order I bought a few years ago. Well guess what? It mikes out at .015". Same model # on label as the old stuff just much thinner. You can feel the difference with your fingers. Once again several 1/2 packs were bought. NO MORE! I can use the .015" material but I NEED .020". So I guess I'll have to start shopping at a fabric store now. Yet another 'ole reliable' source for muzzleloading is no longer reliable.

I know some will say to send it back. Not worth the return shipping to do so when I can use it for other ml's. It just irritates me to no end that it just seems like everything you buy today is 'new and improved', comes 'pre-broken' for your inconvenience, or is just flat out the wrong thing because no one could bother to check the specs .
I hear you. All patches I ordered from them were also at least .010 less in thickness

Makes me wonder🤔 did our forefathers worry so much about patch thickness or just use whatever was at hand. I'm really curious about this. Any replies greatly appreciated
They did not worry so much about patch thickness. Accuracy was generally good enough to hit the target. It was not until shooting at a mark that patch thickness, patch lubricant and ball diameter that now could be measured by accurate and repeatable tools were available.

View attachment 226643

View attachment 226644

View attachment 226645

View attachment 226646

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Great post! I too own a Starrett dial caliper and a Starrett micrometer. The way the fabric is compressed in the jaws and how much pressure is applied really does matter! I think as long as someone does it consistently the same way every time (even if wrong) is the most important. As for patch thickness effecting shooting, I DO think in many cases it CAN have an effect on accuracy.

I had a similar experience with patches arriving thinner than advertised. Call them on the phone and they will take care of you. Nice folks.

ADK Bigfoot

I have been a machinist and tool & die maker for 50 years and I have never heard of compression mics. What the poster was recommending would get you fired in alot of places.

I had a similar experience with patches arriving thinner than advertised. Call them on the phone and they will take care of you. Nice folks.

ADK Bigfoot
They do and would but still if you know that that’s an issue it should be corrected. It’s a hassle to keep sending things back

They do and would but still if you know that that’s an issue it should be corrected. It’s a hassle to keep sending things back
See my previous reply , don't bother with anyone else if you can find a Joannes Fabric store in your location . If you go and bring calipers and it ain't right (it's on you)!/Ed

I am curious as to what happens if you use patch material thats only 50% cotton and the rest is ...something else. I have a *lot* of that. It does not melt when you burn it, seems to burn the same as 100% cotton. Is this just tradition - since there is a significant time gap between the end of black powder and the invention of Viscose in 1905, or is there some practical reason not to use this stuff for patches.

I mean my traditional looking percussion rifle has a polymer stock, I'm not fooling anybody who really looks at it. But like my old T shirts, it does appear that I am using all traditional stuff until you get close.

The issue with blends is they tend to burn more easily and depending on the material may leave synthetic material stuck to the bore of the firearm. It can be difficult to remove.

I'm guessing they used what they could get their hands on and didn't worry too much about such things. I'm one of those shooters that uses what is available. My patching might be thin, medium, or somewhere in between. But never thick. I'm not hammering a ball down the barrel and I've never measured patch thickness other than what my fingers tell me. And powder, not too big of a stickler there either. Might be 67 grains, might be 73. Just don't care. I'm not a range shooter and most all of my deer hunting shots are under 45 yards due to thick cover. Small game 35 yards or less. So as long as I'm hitting within the kill zone on the target I just don't trifle over such things. Haven't lost a BP deer yet. Guess I'm pretty old fashioned.

My dos centavos since I am a cheapskate. Go to Joann’s website and download the current coupon. They always have at least a 40% off and sometimes a 50% off. Also, peruse the remnants shelves, some good stuff a yard or less can be had there really cheap. I pick up a remnant or two every time I go and have a pretty good pile going. And, you will be the only gentleman in the store so smile and be polite and make us look good.

I measure with calipers since I have no micrometer. If I roll the jaws onto the fabric it measures around .030". But I always compress the jaws and come up with .024" for my canvas patches.

Latest posts

Back