• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch hole liners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, McMaster-Carr, item#3309a41, 3/32" (~93-thousands) shank :( , 5/16" body ... and $30 :surrender: !

See: http://www.mcmaster.com/#3309a41/=bxgh4

3309ap1s.gif
3309al1s.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it exactly. Now, if they did one smaller with a 1/16" or 5/64" shaft, you'd have one super duper touch hole coning tool.

drill a hole in the offside flat, cone the touch hole, tap the off side hole and screw a plug in it.
TC

40 Flint said:
drill a hole in the offside flat, cone the touch hole, tap the off side hole and screw a plug in it.
TC

Then you could use that as a cleanout plug.

:surrender:

HD

Or you could put an extra lock on the other side and light it off from both sides. Ought to totally eliminate missed fires and/or hangfires.
:blah: :surrender:

Hmmmmm :hmm: combining the ideas brought forth here along with a recently read item about the CO2 ball discharger, could easily rig an air rifle powered from a nitrogen bottle :youcrazy: . Would have to jerk the ball valve lever open tho and not squeeze it. :blah:

Think I'll take something for this headache now.

I have a few of those. I charge the reservoirs off a SCUBA tank.
I think we are biginning to drift :eek:ff . :wink:

Stainless steel 1/4" x 28 nipple threads screw in and out of a steel breechplug...people are encouraged to do that...part of every cleaning regimen.

Stainless steel 1/4" x 28 vent liner threads screw in and out of a steel breechplug;
But the COMMON chant is: oh no, never remove your vent liner, and people on your right will get killed, etc, ETC, ETC.

People...ITS THE SAME THING as removing a nipple.

AND...a vent liner would typically have the additional benefit of being held in place with the lock.

I don't care if anybody else takes them out as part of their cleaning regimen or not, but those that don't should DEFINITELY NOT be making posts that spread mis-information that they SHOULDN'T be removed because its dangerous, and people on their right are going to get hurt...saying those things at best shows a complete lack of understanding of what's going on, and at worst is irresponsible.

:shake:

Remember, steel threads into steel threads whether on a nipple or vent, are the same thing.
A dab of Natural Lube 1000 (or anti-seize grease) each time, finger snug only with just thumb & forefinger...they'll out last us all.

I just got a 5/64 hole in the side of my barrel, guess I better try to figure a way to get it out ...and then back in when I clean my Fusil, I think it is pretty much a matter of choice whether one removes the liner of not for years most builders have intalled them and filed the slot off, I agree that it is no more dangerous than removing a niple and that has been a pretty standard routine...now back to removing that 5/64 hole for cleaning my gun.

You're going at this wrong TG...leave the hole in place and remove the barrel from around it

roundball,

Thanks, you have taken care of another one of my questions

Thanks

RDE

Ahha I knew there must be an easy way to do it.I just hope I don't loose the hole during the process as I did not drill any spares when I drilled the one I am useing.

TG, :hmm: just drill one on the other side of the barrel, then if ya lose one hole you will have a backup !! :shocked2: :rotf:

Back