• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did matchlocks ever have touchhole liners installed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Or was that method not invented back then? I know a lot original flintlocks had them, but what about matchlocks?

I installed one in the barrel of my matchlock build simply because I had one leftover from a previous flintlock build. I'm not concerned with 100 percent historical accuracy, just curious as to whether they were used.

I want the ease of removal should the touch hole wear out same as with my other muzzleloaders that's why I used a liner. It's one of those kind you file flat so is not noticeable anyway.

Last edited:
Or was that method not invented back then? I know a lot original flintlocks had them, but what about matchlocks?

I installed one in the barrel of my matchlock build simply because I had one leftover from a previous flintlock build. I'm not concerned with 100 percent historical accuracy as I've been concerned with 100 percent historical accuracy, just curious as to whether they were used.

I want the ease of removal should the touch hole wear out same as with my other muzzleloaders that's why I used a liner. It's one of those kind ypu file flay so is not noticeable anyway.
Antique arms with original liners were made by enlarging and coning both sides of the touch hole; then using gold or platinum, a liner was cast into place and while hot the reduced cone shape was formed and drilled through. These liners were highly resistant to erosion and corrosion and lasted well. It is possible that some high grade matchlock arms could have been made for wealthy courtesans that requested a lined touch hole by employing the 'noble metal' method herewith.
Your liner is no doubt a screw-in type. Since the earliest matchlock arms were made before screwthreads became commonplace, liners such as yours would have eliminated from that period of time. I don't recall seeing a liner in m-lock weapons, mostly because the pan was dovetailed or soldered onto the barrel itself, and that covered up the touchole.
Conjecture: If I were alive in the 1500s and modifying an iron barrel, I might have heated the soft iron to a red heat and driven a thin tapered punch into the touchole to enlarge the exterior and allow more flash access to powder. In those days gears and screws were too complicated to be widely avaailable, so drilling was done via forging methods.

I do not know of any. Unfortunately, the person best equipped to answer this passed away a couple of years ago.

Target matchlocks would be the most likely candidate, if the method was used.

I know of an early wheellock that had some sort of plug or damage in the touch hole area that was re drilled, but I will need to double check when I get home from work.
IMG_0083.jpeg

The Graz armory book theorizes it was part of a refurbishment to adapt it to a different lock than its original.

Last edited:
Same here Tob,
I do not know of any in matchlocks from the Normal matchlock period.
For target arms, where matchlocks were used into the mid 17th C at least, I am sure a liner would be used.
For Wheellocks, they too often had a liner, sometimes with two small holes so a forked turnscrew could be used to remove and replace them.
In some wheellock butt traps, there was a place for liners, so they could be changed whenr equired.

W Keith Neil mentions these and shows examples in GBG, 1740-1790

Back