Tip Curtis Rifles

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

MAC1967

32 Cal
Reaction score
I don't own one, but in honor of his passing . . . I think it would be good to start a threat of pics of Tip Curtis' work. I always loved going to his booth at Friendship and looking at his rifles. He built great guns at a good price. . . filled a niche that leaves a big hole now. I sure there are many on this forum indebted to this craftsman who might like to share pics with us.

MAC1967

32 Cal
Reaction score
Beautiful rifles . . . love the pic of Tip doing some finishing work.

MAC1967

32 Cal
Reaction score
That's a beauty ! Love that color . . very nice piece of maple . . .like the set trigger position too. Great looking rifle. Thanks for posting it. Tip did nice work !

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful gun! A Tribute too Mr. Tips work for sure.

Don Steele

45 Cal.
Reaction score
2.2.19 phone pics 001.JPG
This is the 50 cal. "John Brooks" rifle Tip built for me. I picked it up at Friendship and took this picture in the campground. On a visit to his shop, I went through everything he had on the racks...which was considerable. The "John Brooks" rifle he had felt the best, but he didn't have it in Left hand at that time. I was about to just go ahead and buy the right hand model but Tip said "Don, let me just build you a left hand rifle". Who was I to argue..??!
2.2.19 phone pics 012.JPG
Took it home and after a little load development...put these 4 balls downrange from a rest at 50 yds. I reckon she'll do.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
View attachment 36174
This is the 50 cal. "John Brooks" rifle Tip built for me. I picked it up at Friendship and took this picture in the campground. On a visit to his shop, I went through everything he had on the racks...which was considerable. The "John Brooks" rifle he had felt the best, but he didn't have it in Left hand at that time. I was about to just go ahead and buy the right hand model but Tip said "Don, let me just build you a left hand rifle". Who was I to argue..??!
View attachment 36175
Took it home and after a little load development...put these 4 balls downrange from a rest at 50 yds. I reckon she'll do.
So you got a custom gun built by tip curtis. Very lucky man you be. I am fellow lefty. He did great work.

MAC1967

32 Cal
Reaction score
Great story . . . I am left handed too . . . always appreciated that Tip would show up at Friendship with a few LH rifles. Lovely rifle !!

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Great looking rifle Don Thanks for posting,

Great group too!

BJm

32 Cal
Reaction score
I don't own one, but in honor of his passing . . . I think it would be good to start a threat of pics of Tip Curtis' work. I always loved going to his booth at Friendship and looking at his rifles. He built great guns at a good price. . . filled a niche that leaves a big hole now. I sure there are many on this forum indebted to this craftsman who might like to share pics with us.
I too being a regular to Friendship shall miss time & conversations with Tip. I have several of his rifles in L/H flintlocks & have bought his rifles home to Australia for my shooting buddies. I was also privilaged to be invited to visit his home & workshop in Cross Plains Tennessee a couple of years back . Tip made great rifles & his selection available was second to none.

Reactions: smo

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Although Tip didn't build this rifle, I got the pre-carved stock from him when he was down here in Phoenix at the Winter Nationals.

The stock had been cut for a 1" octagon barrel and although there was no lock inleting done on it, it had a cheek piece for a left handed shooter.
I think the combination of these two things is why he priced it at less than half of what it should have been priced at.
I wasn't planning on buying anything that day but with the nice curl and the super low price I couldn't resist.
Of course, after I picked up the stock I had to buy a barrel for it. He had one 1" barrel in .54 caliber and one in .58. Not thinking too clearly, I bought the 42" long .54 caliber barrel. :oops:

I already had a right hand lock for the gun so (hide your eyes you left hand people), I removed the cheek piece and installed the right hand lock.

I wanted to make this a "plain" rifle so it doesn't have much on it except for the basics.

Penn Rifle 030003 cropped southern.jpg
South-5.jpg
o_O
South6.jpg

Like I say, that 42" long X 1" octagon barrel should have been a .58 caliber to get some of the weight out of it. The gun weighs over 11 pounds.

MAC1967

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well made . . . very pretty . . . I too bought some parts from Tip.

Latest posts