• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tip Curtis Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAC1967

40 Cal
Reaction score
I don't own one, but in honor of his passing . . . I think it would be good to start a threat of pics of Tip Curtis' work. I always loved going to his booth at Friendship and looking at his rifles. He built great guns at a good price. . . filled a niche that leaves a big hole now. I sure there are many on this forum indebted to this craftsman who might like to share pics with us.

Here’s my Tip .54 cal. 42” Colerain barrel , round bottom rifling.
Purchased in 2012..

95FFEC70-59CE-4864-9F9B-E428C9F72C81.jpeg

59BE9B2A-320A-4EA2-8D98-9C1014DB1070.jpeg

My 16 gauge Smoothbore by Tip .
44” Colerain barrel, purchased in 2016.

A5DE31C0-7915-4650-B1AC-DE0B457E0019.jpeg

90926126-692-A-4092-B4-C3-F7-FACEFAE2-AD.jpg

RIP Mr. Tip

7FA5BDEF-47BC-49AC-B5F1-66ADC40254FC.jpeg

Beautiful rifles . . . love the pic of Tip doing some finishing work.

That's a beauty ! Love that color . . very nice piece of maple . . .like the set trigger position too. Great looking rifle. Thanks for posting it. Tip did nice work !

2.2.19 phone pics 001.JPG

This is the 50 cal. "John Brooks" rifle Tip built for me. I picked it up at Friendship and took this picture in the campground. On a visit to his shop, I went through everything he had on the racks...which was considerable. The "John Brooks" rifle he had felt the best, but he didn't have it in Left hand at that time. I was about to just go ahead and buy the right hand model but Tip said "Don, let me just build you a left hand rifle". Who was I to argue..??!
2.2.19 phone pics 012.JPG

Took it home and after a little load development...put these 4 balls downrange from a rest at 50 yds. I reckon she'll do.

View attachment 36174
This is the 50 cal. "John Brooks" rifle Tip built for me. I picked it up at Friendship and took this picture in the campground. On a visit to his shop, I went through everything he had on the racks...which was considerable. The "John Brooks" rifle he had felt the best, but he didn't have it in Left hand at that time. I was about to just go ahead and buy the right hand model but Tip said "Don, let me just build you a left hand rifle". Who was I to argue..??!
View attachment 36175
Took it home and after a little load development...put these 4 balls downrange from a rest at 50 yds. I reckon she'll do.
So you got a custom gun built by tip curtis. Very lucky man you be. I am fellow lefty. He did great work.

Great story . . . I am left handed too . . . always appreciated that Tip would show up at Friendship with a few LH rifles. Lovely rifle !!

I don't own one, but in honor of his passing . . . I think it would be good to start a threat of pics of Tip Curtis' work. I always loved going to his booth at Friendship and looking at his rifles. He built great guns at a good price. . . filled a niche that leaves a big hole now. I sure there are many on this forum indebted to this craftsman who might like to share pics with us.
I too being a regular to Friendship shall miss time & conversations with Tip. I have several of his rifles in L/H flintlocks & have bought his rifles home to Australia for my shooting buddies. I was also privilaged to be invited to visit his home & workshop in Cross Plains Tennessee a couple of years back . Tip made great rifles & his selection available was second to none.

Although Tip didn't build this rifle, I got the pre-carved stock from him when he was down here in Phoenix at the Winter Nationals.

The stock had been cut for a 1" octagon barrel and although there was no lock inleting done on it, it had a cheek piece for a left handed shooter.
I think the combination of these two things is why he priced it at less than half of what it should have been priced at.
I wasn't planning on buying anything that day but with the nice curl and the super low price I couldn't resist.
Of course, after I picked up the stock I had to buy a barrel for it. He had one 1" barrel in .54 caliber and one in .58. Not thinking too clearly, I bought the 42" long .54 caliber barrel. :oops:

I already had a right hand lock for the gun so (hide your eyes you left hand people), I removed the cheek piece and installed the right hand lock.

I wanted to make this a "plain" rifle so it doesn't have much on it except for the basics.

Penn Rifle 030003 cropped southern.jpg

South-5.jpg

o_O
South6.jpg

Like I say, that 42" long X 1" octagon barrel should have been a .58 caliber to get some of the weight out of it. The gun weighs over 11 pounds.

Tip .32 ............

Attachments

• 12A9381A-33FE-4F87-95EF-7156596ADDA5.jpeg
    12A9381A-33FE-4F87-95EF-7156596ADDA5.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 5BAB2BB6-BD89-4132-8B84-2E7FFB5F9558.jpeg
    5BAB2BB6-BD89-4132-8B84-2E7FFB5F9558.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 137
Back