• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Steel Wool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Almost everyone who works on a Muzzle Loader will need to use some steel wool.
The following are just a few thoughts about it.

Steel Wool doesn't come off of steel sheep!
grin.gif
There. Got that out of my system.

You can buy it in 8 different grades ranging from #4 Extra Coarse down to #0000 Super Fine. The grades are 4,3,2,1,0,00,000 and 0000.

For deburring the rifleing in a new barrel I usually use the #1 or the #0 but that is only because I haven't seen the coarser grades at my local store.
The deburring, as I do it, consists of unrapping a pad and then tearing off a piece about 1 inch x 1 1/2 and wrapping it around a cleaning jag on a cleaning rod.
It's a chore getting it started in the bore but once in it will slide the full length without too much effort. Running it up and down the bore gets to be tireing but steel wool isn't much harder than the barrel so it takes a lot of time and effort.
I change the pads about every 10-15 in/out cycles because it gets worn out rather fast. You can tell by the resistance to your shove/pull when it needs refreshing.
I have been known to add some oil and find grade valve grinding compound to it but I go to this extreme only after firing some rounds thru a gun that I've "dry deburred" and still finding cut patches. If I worked hard with the dry method, I usually don't have to do this. I also don't really like to use the grinding compound as it leaves little scratches in the bore for fouling (and rust) to get in.

This same dry method can be used to remove rust from the bore if simple cleaning doesn't do the job.

Going to the other extreme in using Steel Wool it is a favorate material for Carding the Browning between rust cycles. I use #0000 for this as I really don't want to cut down thru the Hard Browning that's developing on the barrel.
The main problem I've found with this is it wants to work on the corners a lot more than it wants to work on the center of the flats.
To minimize this, I use my finger to apply pressure to the steel wool only in the center of the barrel flats. This seems to help a lot. Because it is a squishey material, a sanding block just seems to work on the corners of the octagon so I don't use one.
The Real Problem (for browning or blueing) is you work real hard to degrease the barrel so the regient takes evenly. Then when you card off the loose rust the NEXT coat of regient doesn't take evenly. This is because STEEL WOOL IS PRE LUBRICATED!

Birchwood Casey Plum Brown is really susceptible to this contamination between coats. There isn't enough acid/base in Plum Brown for it to cut down thru ANY oil so if you use BC Plumb Brown you defiantly do not want to use "raw" lubricated Steel Wool as it comes from the store between coats.

The factory lubes it to keep it from rusting on the shelf. Used in this condition it is a prime road to a poor job of blueing or browning.

The solution (no pun intended) is to degrease it. I have tried acetone/lacquer thinner/MEK/Brake Cleaner and a few others and NONE of them seem to really work well.
All is not lost though. I've found that pickeling it does the job.
To do this I have used either Lye water or deluted Muratic Acid (hydrochloric acid)(we have lots of swimming pools around here so Muratic Acid is available at the local drug or hardware store.)
The acid method gives off fumes so it's best done outside.
I don't have a exact mixing ratio but with either solution I make it rather strong. After about 10 minutes a good water rinse and a trip to the oven to dry does the job.

Do this only to the amount of steel wool you intend to use in the next day or so because it will rust rapidly after the process.

Do NOT use steel wool on Maple if you plan to stain it with water based stains or with Aquafortis. It will leave tiny pieces of itself in the wood and create rust spots which you cannot get out without resanding.

Steel wool will Rapidly cut thru True Oil/ Linseed oil or any other finish you have built up on the wood. If your not careful, it will also cut thru the staining leaving a light spot on Maple. If you use it, be very gentle.

Used to polish brass it will leave a Matt finish, no better.

Any hints from the rest of you will be appreciated.

Zonie

Instead of "degreaseing" the steel wool when I use it to smooth out my "brown"n job"___ I jest degrease the barrel between each application!!

Steel wool doesn't come from sheep? Maybe it comes from a hydraulic ram?

For working wood, using the scotch brite pads that simulate steel wool are a good product.

They range in coarseness from green, red, grey and white. I find the white ones at automotive paint stores.

One way I found that worked well with the wool on the barrel flats is to wrap it around a file and draw it that way

If you use a Dixcel wire wheel (Brownells) to card your barrels you will not have the browning stripped of the edges on a octagon barel, like the steel wool does.

I have used the same wheel for years with great success. However, that is ALL I use that particular wheel for & when I am done with it I put it back in a box to be sure it doesn't get contaminated with any oil or spray.

Zonie,

Are you talking about using Steel wool on the inside of the barrel to polish it?

I have hand lapped barrels with a lead slug and lapping compound but since the GPR kit is already plug'd I don't think I'll try it. I don't know if you can remove the breech or not.

I just finished doing the draw filing on my GPR kit, and will put some pictures up soon. I am going to hit it with steel wool next, and then I'll be doing the inletting and sanding to get things formed to where they should be.

Spot

Another use for 0000 steel wool (from steel Ram Silhouettes) is to help start a stubbern fire...

It burns like the dickens and will aid wet kindling...

Spot

No need to remove the breech plug on yore GPR!!
It aint a "new improved" inline modified centerfire__ whats got to be "taken apart" to clean it good!!

HOWEVER!! be sure to clean thet new bore real good before shootin yore rifle!! Check yore "spent" patchs when you go to "sighter in"__ if theys got "holes" in"em__ then lap the bore like "Zonie described!!

First I want to thank ALL of you for your comments. I'm hopeing for more from ALL of you which is exactly why I titled this post "THOUGHTS ON..." Keep the ideas/comments coming.

Spot: Yes I was talking about steel wooling the bore. When they broach or cut the rifleing it does two things besides making the grooves. It can raise little microscopic burrs where the sides of the rifleing groove meets the bore. These can act like little saws on the patch which can cut it.
It can also leave a razor sharp edge at this same place.
By running the steel wool covered jag up and down the barrel you knock off these burrs and "dull" up the sharp corners. Both of these will keep it from cutting the patch.
As for using Steel Wool in a blind bore, I have never had a problem with it coming off of the jag. If you do have a problem, use a Patch Worm to get the pieces out. (You will want a Worm anyway to remove patches which sometimes come off the jag during cleaning so if you don't have one, you should get one.)

As for Lead slug lapping, I've used that method, but as I mentioned in the first post it can leave fine scratches thrughout the length of the bore if you use "COURSE" or "FINE" valve lapping compound.
Steel wool won't scratch the bore.
Admittedly if you are using a SUPER fine abrasive this is not a big issue, but IMO the abrasive method is a more drastic method which can remove more material than you might want to remove.
I have heard of people who used the Lead slug method to intentionally enlarge the bore/grooves from 8 to 16 inches down from the muzzle to the breach. This was done to create a "choked" barrel in the intrest of gaining accuracy. I don't think it made much if any difference but that is just my opnion.
Maybe someday I'll create (or you could create) a post titled Thoughts on Lead Lapping. That would be interesting.

Excuse my ignorance but what does carding the barrel mean? I really appreciate this forum as I plan on building a kit sometime in the next year.

May as well throw in my sheep joke too:

Marine Private to Drill Instructor: "But sir, you said .."

Marine Drill Instructor: " Ewe, ewe ! Do I look like a female sheep to you maggot? "

"Carding the barrel" means that one uses a piece of cardboard to rub the barrel to smooth out the rust from the browning process. Cardboard is not as abrasive as steel wool, and being flat has less tendency to leave bright spots in the rusted finish. Nor does cardboard have oil in it like steel wool to stop spots of oil from being on the barrel and prevent an even browning process.

When you have applied the browning solution to the barrel and left it overnite (or however long you desire) the rust that forms is kinda rough and spotty. Rubbing it with cardboard will smooth the texture of the rust and produce a nicer finish. Do this gently, and you will end up with a really nice smooth barrel.

The word "carding" actually includes any method to wear down the surface rust resulting in a smoother more even finish. You can use steel wool, A Dixcel wire wheel, a bronze brush, or even a piece of burlap or other coarse cloth. The whole idea is to smooth out the surface between coats of rusting solution so you get a more even finish. you are actually rubbing part of the rust off each time and it takes longer to reach the final finish, but the result is a smooth dark finish without pitting. As with most things, success usually involves some degree of hard work and extra care.

wal, Hoss Doktor, cardin also means they wants ta look at yer papers 'n mek shure thet ye is old enuff to go inside thar 'stablishment.

Ah seed this hyar sign thet sed "adult toys" a while back 'n wawked rat in....they sed thet everybody had to be "carded" whut cum in thar. Made me feel kinda gud ...ewe ain't got no idee how long hits been since I got carded....Ah wuz kinda disappointed in tha toy store though...they wuddent no guns er motersikels ner knifes ner nuthin lak thet in thar. They sed the had a special on eatible underware....whut kin o PREVERT wud wanna eat his underware? 'n fer thet matter...iffn ya wuz ta eat yer underware, ya wuddnt hev none ta ware nex sundey when ya went ta church. I don't thank thet thar place will do much bidness round hyar. I thank them peoples wuz furriners ennyhow...fellar ast me iffn I wuz ac er dc....I tolt him thet sumtimes when i cum in from tha cold thet hit wud shok tha dogs head when i teched him...they jest luked at me kinda funny, so's i left that place....right disgustid. Sum peoples will try ta sell u ennything.

Latest posts

Back