• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinishing my GPR / what's this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used several applications of Citristrip gel, both by brushing it on and by rubbing it in with a 3M pad, letting it sit for 30 minutes, then removing it with 4ought steel wool. After an overnight drying this is the result. I'm hoping that those spots are more of the original finish and later thin coats of GB Linspeed that I rubbed in, and that more stripper will remove them. The spots can not be felt on the surface of the wood. What do you experienced guys say?

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_102746_960.jpg
    IMG_20231025_102746_960.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231025_103350_807.jpg
    IMG_20231025_103350_807.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Hit those areas with some acetone and see if those spots can be softened and drawn out.

Use a small balled up rag and keep turning the rag so fresh acetone is present.

You don't want to grind dirty acetone/finish into the wood.

FWIW I scrape off old finishes using knives and scrapers along with that same citrus stripper and even there I'll get 'hard' spots like shown.

Regardless of removal method, just always work carefully, especially on edges, so as not to change the profile of the existing stock ... unless your purposely making a change.

....What do you experienced guys say?
What they said above.

....I'm hoping that those spots are more of the original finish ... The spots can not be felt on the surface of the wood.
Might be. Might also be oil or grease from handling soaked deeper into the end grain in spots. Which is irrelevant. You'd do the same either way. Good advice given so far, I have no more to add. I just thought you didn't get an answer yet to "what's this?"

Did you rinse it off pre instructions?
No. I didn't. Thanks, Phil,for mentioning that. I mistakenly took it to meant to do that as a way to remove any lingering stripper just prior to going on to staining, sealing, etc. I'm also letting the stripper sit for an hour before removing it and then rinsing. Looks like it'll work out. Not a job that can be rushed.

No. I didn't. Thanks, Phil,for mentioning that. I mistakenly took it to meant to do that as a way to remove any lingering stripper just prior to going on to staining, sealing, etc. I'm also letting the stripper sit for an hour before removing it and then rinsing. Looks like it'll work out. Not a job that can be rushed.
I’ve used that same product and after applying it wrapped the stock in cellophane then let it set for hours. Then scrub it off and rinse well before drying.

Back