• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How’s This Look?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to take care of my firearms, but sometimes the water in front of the blind is iced over and you need something heavy to break it with. Sometimes you get rained on when in pursuit. Sometimes you fall, etc. I find all my guns that get used as tools (and not safe or range queens) get alot more banged up and aged than I care for them to get.

I also prefer to buy dark-blue, new jeans, and let them fade and fray with use rather than paying for simulated wear...

Hell yes they’re female. You want to be taken to paradise by a dude?
tenor.gif
Strange, what's it about?

Ah yes, the perennial discussion of who likes aging and who thinks it’s silly. Personally, I don’t care what others like or do with their guns. I like what I like; some as new, some looking gently used, and some looking like attic found originals. They can all have their charm if well done.

And builders like whatever their paying customers like. Nothing wring with that, either. I did cringe a little when Mike put up a photo of a brand-new, beat-to-hell rifle he made to order. Makes about as much sense to me as buying a high-quality MSR, putting an expensive ACOG on it, and then putting on a permanent and carefully crafted urethane epoxy copy of a three-tour deployment desert camo Krylon and duct tape finish. I sure wouldn't do that to a brand new pickup truck, although that will probably be the next rage among those that want to look like they've been there and done that but never actually have.

Very nice. But I've never understood why folks want their BP gun to look aged or worn. At one time, all gun were new. If we had lived in the 1700 - 1800s and bought a new rifle we would not have aged it. Is it because we want them to look like we have an original gun from back then? I don't mean to disparage anyone's methods or likes/dislikes; it is just a thing I don't understand. We all should do what we like - everyone is different..

I think it got started back in the 60s. Initially the revival of ml shooting seems to have revolved around re enacting. Of course they wanted to look the part and most seemed to equate that with an old appearance.

Many of our members here are very much into having their outfits represent an historical character.

So there's my explanation for why some folks want to look like time travelers whose rifles somehow aged on the trip here.

And builders like whatever their paying customers like. Nothing wring with that, either. I did cringe a little when Mike put up a photo of a brand-new, beat-to-hell rifle he made to order. Makes about as much sense to me as buying a high-quality MSR, putting an expensive ACOG on it, and then putting on a permanent and carefully crafted urethane epoxy copy of a three-tour deployment desert camo Krylon and duct tape finish. I sure wouldn't do that to a brand new pickup truck, although that will probably be the next rage among those that want to look like they've been there and done that but never actually have.
Like I was saying earlier, there are folks who spend ten grand to buy a brand new Gibson Les Paul that looks like it’s 65 years old.

I'll speak for myself as a
Others are already speaking for me. I started building KY rifles because of the way the old ones looked so that is the way I build them to some varying point. People like them. They bought the hell out of them for 40 years. I built a new one once. It looked awful, never did it again. I often got calls for new looking guns and turned them all down. There are other people that do new looking far better than I do.

I was told that my flintlock looks like furniture.
That finish looks more like furniture than mine. Im jelious.
All the metalwork and file work is finished. All that remains is to finish the stock and clean up the barrel with some draw filing and I should have a finished rifle this time next week.

The stock is down to 220gr now. I’m gonna do some grain raising and slick it off with 0000 steel wool then start with the aqua fortis this evening. I’ve practiced on a scrap piece of maple I had laying around. I’m using permalyn sealer and plan on building that up to a reasonably fine satin finish then using paste wax as a final top coat.

I just might take it out mid October ML season here in PA. I usually dedicate to archery but maybe. My luck one of the nice bucks I’m watching will show and I won’t have a bow. Lol.

I guess I should fashion a powder horn for it next also.

Back