• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on SPAM "meat"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have national Spam cooking contests every year. This year I think somebody made spam filled donuts.
http://www.spam.com/recipes/spam-donuts

I don't think I will try them, but It keeps almost forever, so I always keep some on the top shelf in the pantry, just in case I can't get to the store. I eat it probably a couple times per year. I'll fry it and eat it like ham with eggs, or in a sandwich, or I'll dice it and fry with eggs and potatoes, or maybe even make a casserole.

Its better than armadillo

They say you are what you eat
I'd rather be a spam than a opossum in a half shell
Then I am any number of odd and exotic things, since I am willing to eat anything that looks good (and many things that might not be so visually appealing). Then again, I was raised by parents who believed in exposing their children to the offerings of many other cultures and expanded my horizons greatly.

Armadillos are made of meat and meat is food. SPAM, on the other hand, is little more than overly-salty mushy ham-bits and not very exciting.

Then I am any number of odd and exotic things, since I am willing to eat anything that looks good (and many things that might not be so visually appealing). Then again, I was raised by parents who believed in exposing their children to the offerings of many other cultures and expanded my horizons greatly.

Armadillos are made of meat and meat is food. SPAM, on the other hand, is little more than overly-salty mushy ham-bits and not very exciting.

Floor sweepings from a slaughter house. Waste not Want not

Gotta agree about the floor sweepings ! My mom used to feed spam to us when we were little kids....I'm 73 years old now and still wonder if all that spam is still clinging to the inside of my body somewhere. While it is edible, no way could it be healthy for you..

On the other hand I’ve attempted to bait traps both with ‘possum and ‘possum on the half shell. Neither coon fox or coyote came near my traps.
I have used canned ham in traps, although not spam, and luncheon meat. In each cases the meat had went too long open.
I’ve attempted to eat ‘possum, but after getting the skin off couldn’t bring my self to put it in a pot. Can’t say I’ve ever wanted to try armadillo.
I have eaten woods rats, gophers, mole, Bob cat, fox,snails, grasshoppers, a lot of snakes, wood pecker, crow, earth worms..... so I don’t think I’m unwilling to try food, and meats meat, but armadillos is just plain nasty

After having to live on MRE's, Spam isn't so bad. Especially the flavored kind like Jalapeno or the Turkey version. You can buy a no name version at the Dollar Tree and it isn't so bad. I have a dozen or so cans in the pantry for just in case storage.

Hormel or Armour made a Spam-like product called "Treet." It wasn't as popular as Spam. I don't know if it's still made; last I saw it was in the 60s.

I specifically said an evangelical christian poll couldn't be objective about science, evolution or sex education. All you need to do is spend about 2 minutes looking at the data (and I have) and you will see this is an undisputed FACT.

Frankly, I don't appreciate your attempt at twisting my words when I was EXCEPTIONALLY clear in what I wrote. I made no blanket statement about a group as a whole and I didn't insult an entire group either.

Actually, the discussion of any religion and what they believe in or can or cannot do is out of limits for discussion on the forum. In other words, it is against the forum rules.

Please, don't delve further into your beliefs about religion in any part of the forum.

Actually, the discussion of any religion and what they believe in or can or cannot do is out of limits for discussion on the forum. In other words, it is against the forum rules.

Please, don't delve further into your beliefs about religion in any part of the forum.
I did not delve into religion in any way - it was an example. This is far less than many others have done and yet I am called out publicly...

Hormel or Armour made a Spam-like product called "Treet." It wasn't as popular as Spam. I don't know if it's still made; last I saw it was in the 60s

You mean this stuff?
Armour Treet.jpg
Which is less expensive by about a dollar than SPAM, but they also make,
Armour Premium Luncheon Meat.jpg
Which usually costs more than SPAM. Tough to find the Armour products when it comes to canned meat, so you would probably have to order it from Walmart. You do find their Vienna Sausage though, and they seem to have jumped on the band wagon when it comes to flavors...
Armour Flavored Vienna Sausages.jpg

So if you're making beans & franks in camp you have the franks, sorta..., canned and not needing a cooler. The cans are small so cut down on waste, and each sausage is about 30 calories, so with seven in a can, you have 210 calories or so, in each can. A couple cans of VS in your pocket or in your snapsack when in the field in case you get stuck might not be a bad idea, and they open with a pull-tab.

LD

You mean this stuff?
View attachment 5387
Which is less expensive by about a dollar than SPAM, but they also make,
View attachment 5389
Which usually costs more than SPAM. Tough to find the Armour products when it comes to canned meat, so you would probably have to order it from Walmart. You do find their Vienna Sausage though, and they seem to have jumped on the band wagon when it comes to flavors...
View attachment 5390

So if you're making beans & franks in camp you have the franks, sorta..., canned and not needing a cooler. The cans are small so cut down on waste, and each sausage is about 30 calories, so with seven in a can, you have 210 calories or so, in each can. A couple cans of VS in your pocket or in your snapsack when in the field in case you get stuck might not be a bad idea, and they open with a pull-tab.

LD
I'll stick to my jerky and parched corn...

Yep reliable, and No school like the old school, eh? ;)

LD
I'm certainly not opposed to a good soup mix, quality sausages or other portable food items, but the jerky & parched corn are portable (I've carried both when flying), quick, nutritious and require no preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back