• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on shorter barrels (or…Stop me from my blaspheme!)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever had a GPR bored out to make a Smooth rifle. Would it work, is there enough steel? I like the size but would love to reduce the weight . Just curious?

I have a Zoli .54 1803 that I dearly love…sorta.

Had a relative on the Corps of Discovery, the time period I am focusing in on to do some living history is 1805-1810 in the mountain west.

Got some great guns that fit the time period. And I have this 1803 in a good piece of wood that is a .54 and has a US made lock.

What’s not to love? Well, two things. First this long barrel is kinda heavy and doesn’t balance well, it doesn’t carry well either…I can live with all that. But the other issue is the bore, or barrel not sure which, is curved to the right. The rifle shoots 2” groups at 50 yards…but even with the front sight as far right as I can get it and the rear sight as far left, it still hits 4” right.

Less than Optimal.

So, in a whiskey inspired moment, it occurred to me that shortening the barrel MIGHT fix the POI issues, and definitely would correct the weight/balance issue. Plus…the originals were known to burst at the muzzle, so it’s a historical remedy, so to speak. Genious!

See the pics below. I’ve marked on the barrel where I would cut, and also right in front of the ramrod pipe.

This leaves me 25” of barrel. Anyone shot a .54 with a 25” barrel? I have a .62 smoothie Caywood Chiefs gun that measures 28” and she shoots better than me…so I think I’m on solid ground.

Opinions? Experience? Burn me at the stake?

View attachment 139173View attachment 139174View attachment 139175

He is the only guy that would. I highly doubt you can get to .62
I called him and he actually answered!!! He said on my 15/16 barrel he could make it a 58 smooth bore for under $80-90 dollars . I got on his list, and i am seriously thinking about it!!! I also asked him about "turning" the front of the barrel smooth on the outside smooth, past the nose cap! I like the look of octagon going to smooth. He said he could do that too, but I would have to get a new under rib for the ramrod, but i am sure that would not be too hard to find. decision, decisions! My new GPR Flinter is out for Delivery and due today! I may decide to let Mr Hoyt work his magic on the barrel. What do you think?

Now you have introduced further temptation. I have a 50 Renegade with a 1” barrel. 20 gauge and octagon to round sounds real tempting.
My barrel on the GPR is 15/16 and Hoyt told me 58 was the max. If yours is 1 In, you may be able to get it to 20/.62?? I don't know, but Mr Hoyt will tell you in a NY min!!

Haven't shot it yet but it will be going in the deer woods with me this fall. I prefer short guns where I hunt, it's generally pretty thick .

Attachments

• 20220829_161739.jpg
    20220829_161739.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I called him and he actually answered!!! He said on my 15/16 barrel he could make it a 58 smooth bore for under $80-90 dollars . I got on his list, and i am seriously thinking about it!!! I also asked him about "turning" the front of the barrel smooth on the outside smooth, past the nose cap! I like the look of octagon going to smooth. He said he could do that too, but I would have to get a new under rib for the ramrod, but i am sure that would not be too hard to find. decision, decisions! My new GPR Flinter is out for Delivery and due today! I may decide to let Mr Hoyt work his magic on the barrel. What do you think?
I think it will look great and handle even better. It will be more uniquely yours and I'm pretty sure I've seen originals that are configured much the same way, both smooth and rifled.

I was given an old FIE 45 caliber muzzleloader from a friend. It had a 32" barrel. The gun needed some restoration because it had sat in his closet for about 40 years. Since I already had 3 45 caliber rifles I decided to make it into a canoe gun (some call them blanket guns). I cut the barrel down to 18". It is a sweet shooter and so easy to carry. It is for close range shooting. -- Here are the before and after pictures.
001 FIE 45 caliber muzzle loader as aquired.jpg

Attachments

• 890.jpg
    890.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 0
Before cutting it, I might consider coning the muzzle. With a deep cone, you eliminate any possible issues with the muzzle, and you get the benefit of easier loading.

Back