• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thomson Center .50 cal rifle questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastoftheBay

32 Cal
Reaction score
Recently I posted about getting a flintlock rifle. I decided I would do .45 caliber but my local gunshop has a Thompson Center .50 caliber for sale. It is a Thompson Center .50 caliber Pennsylvania Hunter. Its a flintlock and the tag says 1-66" rifle twist. The shop is asking $650 for it. It definitely has been fired before and was used by a local who hunted up in Delta, PA. The rifle came from his estate sale. It has some hair width scrathes on the left side of the rifle stock on both the butt and I guess forearm (the front under the barrel). The barrel has some scratches in the bluing on the top flat above the touchole. It sparks and feels like a handy rifle. It also has a 32" barrel that is flat (octagon I think is the term) and then round. Is $650 fair for a used rifle like this ? The shop owner said these rifles are more of a rare Thompson Center product. I would rate condition at about 7.5~8/10. Thanks for any advice.

Just based on what I see similar guns offered for here in the classifieds, I’d say that is a little high but often when you buy here you also have shipping costs. If you buy locally you get to see and handle before purchase. You will also have sales tax from a business added if applicable. Here in Kansas that is normally 8-9% added to the price. Just things to consider.

Back