• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Arms Cal 54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this muzzleloader at a garage sale for $50. I’m trying to figure out what model it is and a ballpark for its year and value. On the right side of the barrel it’s marked “Thompson Center Arms Rochester New Hampshire Cal 54”. On the left side of the barrel is the serial number “K203571”. From a quick Google search it seems like most of these rifles were stamped with the model number after the caliber so I’m wondering why this one isn’t? Also, I read that a “K” before the serial number signifies it was from a build kit. Let me know if you have anymore information! Thanks!
5CD27D21-D92B-4695-A367-0A3F5CB65AEE.jpeg
6EC3B704-A085-482B-9E49-4BA1EFB4C6D2.jpeg
1CD56D7E-6051-42CC-8FB6-15847250685F.jpeg
6CB060C9-4F87-40E7-A61B-E472DE76A8F3.jpeg
7BFDE0CE-431A-47ED-831F-136966AC15D9.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a poorly done Thompson Center Hawken kit gun. Cosmetically, everything looks fixable with a little time, knowledge & elbow grease. From the looks of the outside of that barrel, I have my doubts about what that bore is gonna look like.

But well worth 50 bucks for parts if nothing else.

I too think you got a great deal. A wild guess based on the serial number it that it is a early to mid 1980s kit. With some work it can be made into a nice gun if the bore isn’t terribly pitted. There are several threads on this site on cleaning up a bore.

Value is hard to say at this point but if the trigger and lock work fine it will part out for at least a couple of hundred dollars. If the bore is good it is probably a $150-$250 range gun as is. Cleaned up, better shaping of the lock panel and stock and refinished with a good bore maybe $300 or more.

Last edited:
Cosmetics aside, if the bore is good on that gun it will probably be an excellent shooter. I have a TC .54 and it shoots accurately. I shot a deer with a PRB at about 40 yards, and it knocked that buck down and rolled him.

If you want to re-work that bore, give a call to Bobby at the address below. Best to call early in the day, say 08:00, he's a busy man so let it ring.

Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt. Hope Road
Fairfield, PA. 17320-9759
Phone is (717) 642-6696

Why don't I ever see deals like that at yard sales???

Ya done good!

If the bore is really awful, you could even have it sleeved down to a 50 or 45. I've been wanting a 45, so something like that would be perfect.

Guess I need to stop at more yard sales. :ghostly:

Back