• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Thompson Center Hawken .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a fair amount of blueing that has been rubbed or scraped off near the muzzle on one side that really messes the overall look of the gun up, but I can overlook that. The bore and crown of the barrel are what is more important to me. My next concern is the hammer does not come down square on the nipple. It is off to the side, almost hitting the edge of the hammer cup. The hammer needs to go away from the stock to line up better. The lock action is not loose but has some play. Also maybe some play in the stock to lock fit like maybe it was overtightened over the years. I will try a shim or two and see if that helps. I would hate to have to heat it to move it. Kinda looks like someone did that already to move it the other way. Is the hammer cup supposed to be a bit to the inside of the cocking part? If not, someone already bent it.
On the area where the bluing is rubbed off degrease the affected area with Birchwood Casey degreaser, Windex with ammonia, or acetone. Dry the area. I like to warm the metal a little with a heat gun. Apply Birchwood Casey Perma Blue. Easy to use. The new bluing will most likely not be even in all spots with each application so you can gently rub each coat of perma Blue with 0000 steel wool to blend the new bluing in with the surrounding old finish. Apply coats of Perma Blue until you achieve the results you want. Then apply oil. You would be surprised how well you can repair the damaged finish spots with a little work and you won't have to reblue the entire barrel.

Well I was tinkering with the lock the other day and made a boo boo. Broke my hammer screw. Luckily I was able to fish the headless end out. Lesson learned, don't overtighten! Ordered a new one so besides my pride, nothing is hurt too bad. Took the opportunity to buy a couple brass screws to replace on the handguard. They are starting to strip so better fix that now before it gets worse. Bought a few nipples too, one in musket size so I can shoot it since I can get those. No #11s around. I bought some 10s but haven't tried them yet. Patches and round balls should arrive tomorrow.

I was gifted a mistreated T/C Hawkens Cougar that had beautiful grained Black Walnut stock. I thought changing the barrel would probably be in order, but after some scrubbing with a scotch brite piece for a while the barrel came out pretty well, and it shoots really good. No complaints in the accuracy department, except that the pull length was to long for my short arms, and the crescent butt left beautiful purple when shooting with loads that gave the best accuracy. Then it was on to the cosmetics of the stock, barrel and hardware, which it is where I am now. I'm sure there are a some purest that will revolt because I've installed a recoil pad. For info purposes I do not look good purple. photos to follow...... of the Hawkens
Enjoy the challenges that BP and muzzleloading bring.

Hope you are enjoying your TC Hawken Heat. I bought mine new (in 45 cal), back in 1974. Can't recall the exact price but believe it was around $150 or a bit more. At the time alot of traditionalists cut them down saying they only had the one barrel wedge, coil mainspring, to short of a barrel, to fast of a rifling twist for ball, the adjustable sights, and about anything else they could come up with. Well after almost 50 years of having the TC 45 I can still hit alot of what alot of shooters can't hit with modern open sight smokeless rifles and the TC is still going strong. Shoot round ball loads through it mostly.

Back around the mid 80's I cut the finger loop or whatever its called off of the bottom of the trigger guard just behind the triggers as I never cared for its feel or looks. Blackened the brass with cold bluing and lightly rubbed it with steel wool and refinished the stock. I used some of Browells powered wood stains mixed with water to find a color I liked on the TC walnut (sort of a dark reddish hue) and refinished the stock with a wood finish called Arrow. It is similar in use as Tru-oil, but I had used it before and liked its looks better. Wears like iron. Still available last I knew online, bought a bottle several years ago. Bought my first bottle of it at a gunshow several years prior to using it on the TC from the developer and owner of the business at a gun show. Like the looks better of my refinished TC than in its original format.

Thee Ol TC's are great guns, may not be as original as Sams, but they are quality rifles and got alot of shooters into black powder rifle shooting. Back in the day the TC was of better quality than most of the rifles/kits made outside of the US and 'alot' cheaper than some of the more expensive muzzleloader Hawken styles like the old Green River rifle brand. Too bad TC was sold to Smith and Wesson who IMO ruined the original Warren Thompson developed rifles with the production of those ugly inliners and tried to develop modern centerfire style rifles to compete with present day rifle manufacturers. Have never regretted my TC Hawken buy in the summer of '74.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back