• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson 45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUMMINS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at a 45 caliber thompson hawken, I usually prefer larger calibers, but I got to wondering the barrel size of a thompson 45 and if it would shoot standard .458-.459 size bullets used in 45-70s and such.

I have 2 Thompson center .45 Hawkins Flints use a .445 round ball .015 patch and 90gr 3f .or the .45 thompson .45 Maxie ball with .90gr 3f

CUMMINS said:
I am looking at a 45 caliber thompson hawken, I usually prefer larger calibers, but I got to wondering the barrel size of a thompson 45 and if it would shoot standard .458-.459 size bullets used in 45-70s and such.
They should probably 'physically' fit...TC's Maxi-Hunters have a .450" band around their bottoms, and a .458" band around their tops, which are cut through by the rifling at short start time...and assuming that all works, the next question will be whether or not they'll spin fast enough to stabilize out of a shallow groove 1:48" TC barrel.

My personal experience with TC .45/255grn Maxi-Hunters (not maxi-balls) is that they are tack drivers in my TC 1:48" standard barrels with full power deer hunting loads and an Oxyoke wad over the powder...considering the .45/.50/.54cal conicals I tried...the .45/255grn MH is the only conical I ever got that kind of terrific accuracy out of...and a 255grn MH is almost the same as a 270grn .58cal round ball.

My rifle is a .458 and I shoot 45-70 bullets. Mine is a 1-18 twist. You won't get them down your barrel unless you size them. You can go down to .454, and then to .452, and then to .451
You might have to go smaller yet depending on the dia. Ron

Latest posts

Back