• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This sight system

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I pulled this sight off of a rifle I traded off several years ago. I never messed with the sight but a friend told me to keep ot so I did.

Does anyone know what it is and what brand it may be? It seems that the silver screw (on the right in this picture) is some type of retention mechanism but seems terribly inefficient.
20221120_162323.jpg

looks like an original TC set . ladder peep and globe front. Vernier style.
called it a ladder cause my two active brain cells are on strike today and couldn't think of that hard word vernier.
just bought 3 sets of them still in the TC packaging.
Thank you. Is that screw missing a piece? The silver one on the right. I can see how and why it functions but it seems to be missing a cap of some type.

have you tried turning that screw in? looking at pictures on market sites and it appears to be a friction screw to lock the tower in place.
Yes I have. Screwed in it does indeed lock the tower in place. And it does seem to engage in any position and locks positively. However, grabbing and turning the screw for that function is tough with old fat fingers. That's led me to ask the question of whether there is a cap missing. I've not yet found pictures on this exact sight that might answer that.

Hello. I have two sights like that, one in the TC packaging. On yours someone may have added the small screw. Mine has a hole where the screw is on yours. The hole is not threaded on mine. When the sight is in the position for shooting a tiny ball detent is in the hole. Then tighten the knurled screw to hold it in place. I can see the ball when it is in the hole. It is very small. If someone took it apart it would be the first thing lost.

Hello Little Brother,
I have had quite a few of these TC sight sets. I have to think back quite a few years but I believe the screw on the right side in the picture is
someone's addition to the sight. It should not be there. If I recall correctly there was a spring and ball detent arrangement to keep the
sight in position. The knob on the left is the one that actually locks it down in position.
I might still have one of these in stock, I will look today and see if I can confirm that.
Barry

Hello Little Brother,
I have had quite a few of these TC sight sets. I have to think back quite a few years but I believe the screw on the right side in the picture is
someone's addition to the sight. It should not be there. If I recall correctly there was a spring and ball detent arrangement to keep the
sight in position. The knob on the left is the one that actually locks it down in position.
I might still have one of these in stock, I will look today and see if I can confirm that.
Barry
Thank you. Yes what you describe as needing a detent is what I've seen in various pictures and videos. Just flip the leaf up and it automatically locks into place. This is definitely not the case with this one.

Back