• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This ‘Rob Miller’ Carolina is a shooter!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, if you follow any of Rob’s (Rob M.) build posts, you will see that he is a very accomplished, yet maybe far too humble, builder of excellent trade guns.

I was looking for a light, long-barreled smoothie to have as my competition gun, left-handed of course, and Rob knocked it out of the park!

The trim, like the butt plate, trigger guard, or side plate were made from 100-year old metal and the patina is to die for, plus the aging of the barrel also looks phenomenal … it looks like an original iron barrel. The cherry stock work is also just beautiful!

But … to the purpose of this post … man, this baby will shoot!

First 9-shots ever, shot #1 a fouling shot on a clean barrel. Shots #2-6 benched, 25-yards, 60-grns Schuetzen 2Fg powdah, red-striped pillow ticking & 3-drops of Hoppe's BP patch lube. My last 3-shots were offhand, as I just LOVE shootin’ offhand. But on the 6th shot (benched) and offhand I started hitting left, hot barrel?

Only had one flash in the pan for this session, I guess I went cheap on prime, LOL. Light was poor for better musket picture taking … so I will take better pics later, or in the early am. SHE SHOOTS!

3F110715-C1E6-47B5-B783-498E8BB6BC45.jpeg

14A1B908-A3F7-41B7-B216-0B0A746EE9FD.jpeg

047DC7DA-B714-46F6-BBDD-1B8FAD723729.jpeg

Well, if you follow any of Rob’s (Rob M.) build posts, you will see that he is a very accomplished, yet maybe far too humble, builder of excellent trade guns.

I was looking for a light, long-barreled smoothie to have as my competition gun, left-handed of course, and Rob knocked it out of the park!

The trim, like the butt plate, trigger guard, or side plate were made from 100-year old metal and the patina is to die for, plus the aging of the barrel also looks phenomenal … it looks like an original iron barrel. The cherry stock work is also just beautiful!

First 9-shots ever, shot #1 a fouling shot on a clean barrel. Shots #2-6 benched, 25-yards, 60-grns Schuetzen 2Fg powdah, red-striped pillow ticking & 3-drops of Hoppe's BP patch lube. My last 3-shots were offhand, as I just LOVE shootin’ offhand. But on the 6th shot (benched) and offhand I started hitting left, hot barrel?

Only had one flash in the pan for this session, I guess I went cheap on prime, LOL. Light was poor for better musket picture taking … so I will take better pics later, or in the early am. SHE SHOOTS!

View attachment 252942

View attachment 252943

View attachment 252944
Thanks bud. I am so glad you like it ! To many years of successful shoots and hunts ! :)

Shot it today at a woodswalk and came in 2nd place. Missed a ‘phone book’ sized gong that I shudda hit (raised my head, grrrrrr … that makes a ‘hit’ a ‘miss’ …) and then had missed 2 difficult targets that are really tough shots even w/ a rifle! One such target is a 6” diameter truck-type coil spring of ~5/8” wire, coils about 3” apart as spiraled, set out @ 35-yards.

Had I hit that big durn gong I would have won! I was in 1st place, but I missed the LAST of the 18 shooting targets, LOL … then there were knife & hawk targets too. Still all and all, it was a great 1st outing! And everyone couldn’t believe how trim and light she is!

Shot it today at a woodswalk and came in 2nd place. Missed a ‘phone book’ sized gong that I shudda hit (raised my head, grrrrrr … that makes a ‘hit’ a ‘miss’ …) and then had missed 2 difficult targets that are really tough shots even w/ a rifle! One such target is a 6” diameter truck-type coil spring of ~5/8” wire, coils about 3” apart as spiraled, set out @ 35-yards.

Had I hit that big durn gong I would have won! I was in 1st place, but I missed the LAST of the 18 shooting targets, LOL … then there were knife & hawk targets too. Still all and all, it was a great 1st outing! And everyone couldn’t believe how trim and light she is!
Ah ! Thats great to hear bud . Ain't she great for packin around ? I carry mine and d@mn near for get I got her ! Mines 5 1/2 pds. , 40" barrel . Gotta nice balance , eh ? Esp. with that long barrel I thought she wasn't muzzle heavy at all . Glad ya had a good time ! I'm glad you like er so much . :)

My 1st woodswalk w/ my ‘Miller’ Carolina, aka ‘Big Red’. She’s a 48" barreled 62-cal flint smoothie.

Where you see an 'X' is where I aimed, then the arrow marks my hit.

I missed the chain at 20Y, missed the tack (never shot it at 10’ before!!!! … LOL!) and I did not split the pencil nor split the turkey feather in half. But otherwise it shot fantastic!!!

Everyone was impressed with the build quality and light weight!

3CE7B86D-1968-48AA-8E2D-717C661C9FCB.jpeg

C2323ADF-0A33-44FA-BA2E-22C9235B2E1C.jpeg

DAA3AF68-5A24-4C81-BDF6-5B82F6DF0127.jpeg

A62A6272-6E2F-43C7-93F6-9E90266CDCEA.jpeg

E0AC3864-2E0F-469B-808C-A2A88F816D22.jpeg

My 1st woodswalk w/ my ‘Miller’ Carolina, aka ‘Big Red’. She’s a 48" barreled 62-cal flint smoothie.

Where you see an 'X' is where I aimed, then the arrow marks my hit.

I missed the chain at 20Y, missed the tack (never shot it at 10’ before!!!! … LOL!) and I did not split the pencil nor split the turkey feather in half. But otherwise it shot fantastic!!!

Everyone was impressed with the build quality and light weight!

View attachment 289133

View attachment 289134

View attachment 289135

View attachment 289136

View attachment 289137
Are you saying when a smoothbore barrel gets hot they well shot to the left of point of aim .

View attachment 252942

View attachment 252943

View attachment 252944
In this post you said you started hitting left hot barrel ?

In this post you said you started hitting left hot barrel ?
Oh, that was way up back at the beginning ... I thought you were commenting on the photos posted on 28Jan. Thanks for the clarification ...

Yes, barrels ... ANY barrels, smooth or rifled, can start to wander for the point of impact if the barrel tenons are not slotted, especially the one near the muzzle. At first shooting sessions, I did notice it would wander whilst 'hot', but once I filed the slots to be wider - that issue went away.

For the targets posted on 28Jan, that's all on me, in regards to any hit off the center! After these shots from the woodswalk I then shot the targets for score and smallest group and they were right were I was aiming, dead on! Only finished 2nd to a rifle in both categories.

It appears that this rifle needs to be "broken in." Send it to me and I will send it back when it is shooting to its full potential. No charge.

ADK Bigfoot

Latest posts

Back