• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carolina Trade Gun/ Rob Miller

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late last year I decided I needed a Trade Gun and began the hunt. After looking for availability of existing Trade Guns at all the normal places I decided to have one built. Several members of a FB group pointed me in the direction of Rob Miller as the go to guy for Trade Guns. I tracked down Rob and he talked me through the particulars of what I wanted. Based on parts he had on hand we decided on a Type G Carolina 24/.58 with a 26” barrel. This put me in the historical time frame I wanted and would make a handy woods gun around my place. Rob did a great job keeping me informed as he made progress on the gun. True to his word Rob had the Trade Gun ready to ship mid- February and I received it this past Friday. The Carolina arrived well packed and I couldn’t wait to see it in person. Rob had sent photos but obviously not the same as having it in hand! I had envisioned a handy gun but was floored by the weight and how well it handled. I placed the Carolina on the food scale and was shocked, 3.1 #s and change! Looking the Carolina over, Rob did a heck of a job with fit and finish. Rob uses an aged finish on his guns and he certainly nailed it with this one. Several days of rain had the Carolina sitting in the corner until today.

I figured since this is a walking around gun for targets of opportunity I would test some realistic distances with shot and round ball. Point of bunny was about 20 yards on hanging steel targets and I thought the 26” barrel did a pretty good job grouping at that distance. I also tried .58 round ball with an over-powder wad followed by a naked RB with a shot card on top. I was able to nail the 12” gong without issue and will certainly try to work on better accuracy on paper later on. All shooting was done with 50 grains and it seemed like a good load.

To wrap it up, Rob Miller makes a heck of a custom Trade Gun and is very knowledgeable about the history of these great guns. I found Rob to be honest, straightforward, and an amazing craftsman. If you’re in the market for a Trade Gun I don’t think you could find a better builder. Thanks again Rob, she is definitely a keeper!
22AB143D-4682-464D-8F81-6756F13B7870.jpeg
79D50300-7564-4CFE-AA5B-A90EA1A9D036.jpeg
14A1DEB5-D53A-4A2D-A3D4-10D91B1616D7.jpeg
4B2A0E01-DD14-4D08-B873-77CB46431AE2.jpeg

Have you done much in the way of period longrifles or mostly focus on smoothies?
Hi bud . I've made a few long rifles over the years but I just dont have the passion for rifles like I do for trade guns . I have always been intrigued by their history , after reading TM Hamilton , and then after making my first one back in 94 for myself I found out how great they were for " making meat " , I was hooked for life , LOL . So now all I make are NW Trade guns , early and late , Carolina Gun , and Fusil de Chasse .

One thing that was left out about Rob. He will go out of his way to help you. If you are trying to build your own. He's knowledge on trade guns is impressive..!
The bad news is...once ya build one...your going to build more.....ha ha ha

Late last year I decided I needed a Trade Gun and began the hunt. After looking for availability of existing Trade Guns at all the normal places I decided to have one built. Several members of a FB group pointed me in the direction of Rob Miller as the go to guy for Trade Guns. I tracked down Rob and he talked me through the particulars of what I wanted. Based on parts he had on hand we decided on a Type G Carolina 24/.58 with a 26” barrel. This put me in the historical time frame I wanted and would make a handy woods gun around my place. Rob did a great job keeping me informed as he made progress on the gun. True to his word Rob had the Trade Gun ready to ship mid- February and I received it this past Friday. The Carolina arrived well packed and I couldn’t wait to see it in person. Rob had sent photos but obviously not the same as having it in hand! I had envisioned a handy gun but was floored by the weight and how well it handled. I placed the Carolina on the food scale and was shocked, 3.1 #s and change! Looking the Carolina over, Rob did a heck of a job with fit and finish. Rob uses an aged finish on his guns and he certainly nailed it with this one. Several days of rain had the Carolina sitting in the corner until today.

I figured since this is a walking around gun for targets of opportunity I would test some realistic distances with shot and round ball. Point of bunny was about 20 yards on hanging steel targets and I thought the 26” barrel did a pretty good job grouping at that distance. I also tried .58 round ball with an over-powder wad followed by a naked RB with a shot card on top. I was able to nail the 12” gong without issue and will certainly try to work on better accuracy on paper later on. All shooting was done with 50 grains and it seemed like a good load.

To wrap it up, Rob Miller makes a heck of a custom Trade Gun and is very knowledgeable about the history of these great guns. I found Rob to be honest, straightforward, and an amazing craftsman. If you’re in the market for a Trade Gun I don’t think you could find a better builder. Thanks again Rob, she is definitely a keeper!View attachment 201769View attachment 201770View attachment 201771View attachment 201773
Super nice and handsome! Great photos! Wow!

Beautiful gun! I have a 28” Wilson Chiefs gun in .62 and it’s amazing to shoot and to carry.

More velocity is more accuracy in a smooth bore with round ball. Even in my short barrel 85 grains of 3F makes a huge difference in accuracy. With that load I’m shooting 3” groups at 50. Wouldn’t come close to that at 60 grains.

Latest posts

Back