• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinner and Smaller-A range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's another step in my search for an easy-to-load combination for the field. In particular, squirrels out to 25 or 30 yards.

I started playing with .015 patches with my .45 last month and now I'm adding in a smaller ball. I picked up a bag of .437 balls and they load like a dream with that patch. I didn't have time to shoot more than 5 shots. Next time out I'll give the .018 patches a go with the .437 balls. Although, what I see here at 50yds should be more than adequate for popping squirrel heads at 25 yards.

I'd like to do this again when it's a bit warmer out. My sights are very low to the barrel and are subject to heat mirage. I was already getting heat mirage before I even started shooting from a room temperature barrel in sub-freezing air. That may account for the vertical spread of the group. Who knows.

Group at 50yds
52gr3F50yd437ball015Spit_zps6d4624df.jpg

To a Texan that sounds mighty cold. Here south east of Dallas it was 72 here today and the same yesterday. I spent this warm but windy day stripping ticking and weting moose milk and drying. Sorted gear and filled ball bags and powder horns. You are the MAN! I take it your goal is to load without a starter. You appear to be on the right track. Geo. T.

I didn't mention it, but yes, loading without a starter is a goal. I can thumb-start the first ball in a clean barrel with this combo with some pressure. After it's fouled it needs the butt of a knife handle to work it the rest of the way in.

Back