• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

They must be multiplying...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
After recently selling a half dozen muzzleloaders during the past several weeks, I spent some time this week straightening up / reorganizing the room I use for all my hunting / shooting stuff.

Got all the deer hunting stuff in one area, turkey stuff in another, small game & predator stuff in another...stacked up all the hard cases, dragged all the soft cases out from under tables and shelves, etc, etc.

I'm embarrassed to say I discovered two cases had Flintlocks in them and after all the dust settled I still have 10 Flintlocks on hand, with another one being built.
1-.40
2-.45s
2-.50s
2-.54cals (smoothbores)
1-.58cal
1-.58cal being built
2-.62cals (smoothbores)

Approaching retirement in 2-3 years, I'm trying to decide on the bare minimum for my NC needs:

A .28ga smoothbore for squirrels & skeet targets
A .20cal smoothbore for turkey and trap targets
The .58cal Virgina for deer
A small caliber or two for economical plinking

Sound about right?

I'd keep another "deer rifle" jus fer in case...probably the 58...already have all the fixins with yer new one...ya gotta has a spare! :thumbsup:

Sounds like my assortment

A Renegade cap in .50 fast twist for regular deer season
A .50 slow twist flint for winter BP season.
A 12 ga single barrel for spring turkey.
A .36 Seneca cap for smallgame and fall turkey.
A .54 Haines I've been saying I'm gonna build for 2 years

Still 12 years away from retirement but I can't imagine needing anything more.

That sounds like it should fill your needs, you may alter your thinking after shooting the "new" gun, :thumbsup: I had as many as 16 ML at one time over the years all of which I "needed," now a .62 smoothrifle and a .58 fusil will do whatver I need done.It is embarrasing when you forget a gun and it turns up after thinking it was not around any more, I used to buy and sell a lot without using them very much, just chasing deals down, it's hard to believe you can loose a gun but it does happen.

I think that should do 'ya just fine. I have the two .58's for big game, a 20 gauge flintlock for Turkeys and an old 45 jukar for plinking or for a kid to shoot. I feel like I am covered. I also think that the less guns you have, the better you get with the ones you do have. I used to think I could never have enough guns but have changed my way of looking at it.

RB,
I would consider keeping your favorie TC deer rifle. You never know what can happen with the new Virginia: break a spring during deer season, drop it and knock the sight, etc.

SP

Approaching retirement in 2-3 years, I'm trying to decide on the bare minimum for my NC needs:

A .28ga smoothbore for squirrels & skeet targets
A .20cal smoothbore for turkey and trap targets
The .58cal Virgina for deer
A small caliber or two for economical plinking

Sound about right?

Pretty close. Add those to the 10 you have and you should be ok. :haha: But, be flexible. Ya never know what new "needs" might rear up. :)

Mark Lewis said:
Never sell a gun. You'll always regret it.

For once I agree with Mr. Lewis 100%.

You can NEVER have too many guns. Especially in this day and age.

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
You can NEVER have too many guns. Especially in this day and age.

I understand the sentiment...but for me, there is a point at which practicality has to be factored in...I've bought and sold scores of various firearms over my lifetime and so far, have not regretted selling the ones I've sold...

If you plan on the .58 for your huntin rifle, I would then keep either the .40 or a .45 for target shooting. Sell the rest and put the $$ towards someone's College fund if you have offspring out there. If not, you got some good squirrel money for retirement.

roundball said:
Approaching retirement in 2-3 years, I'm trying to decide on the bare minimum........

Now there's the hole in your thinking. Take it from me, once you adjust to not going to the job every day, you'll find a whole lot more time for the things you'd always wished you could do.

Go ahead and sell the guns, but set the money aside for future purchases so you can shift and shimmy as your tastes and interests evolve. The hardest thing to do in retirement is come up with "spare" money.

You'll be in the reverse situation of what you were when working all the time. Working, it's often a case of money and no time. Retired, it's more a case of time and no money.

roundball...

Here in my area, prices are noticeably going up on most staples. If widespread, rampant inflation were to occur as I remember during the "Jimmy" years, would it not be better to sell the guns at a later date? I consider them an investment that seldom loses. Also, you can go and feed yourself or others to some extent while holding on to your investment. :2

"Less powder, more lead.
Shoots further, kills dead."

Eagerly awaiting the posts on this forum's classified ads. That is if you bring yourself to selling a few. :hmm:

:hmm: I only have two rifles and a pistol.......so I've got room to store some of those for you if you need the room..... :grin:

I think what you had before you started selling was just about right, minus 7 or 8 that you still need to get! :rotf:

My vote is to stop the madness and keep the ones you have left.

Roundball
I am retired, and what I'm finding is I now have to build guns with the grandkids. Oldest and I built one together a couple of years ago. won't be lond untill I have a couple more wanting a gun. Don't know what your situation is but if you have any grandkids that might like to shoot, you have a place for them found guns.

I sold a gun a few months ago, and I don’t regret it. It hadn’t been used in over fifteen years, had no sentimental value, AND it afforded me the opportunity to buy a firearm that I had wanted forever. My wife and I were able to save the money that I WOULD have spent on the new gun. Stewardship and practicality are always positive.

More power to you for downsizing. Now you’ll be more of a deadeye than ever with those few guns.

Roundball, I Have been retired for over a year now,and I went the oppisite way! I have added
3 more flintlocks with two more on the way!!!
I just can't get enough! Of course I ain't married
and got no youngings so that explains a lot!

:bow:

Back