• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Thing About Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m at the time in my life where I’m transitioning from a majority time spent traditional bow hunting to hunting more with my muzzle loaders. Sit in a tree with a self bow in your hand and watch deer and hogs slip by that would be dead with a flintlock gives a different but a very respectful and admirable view on the hunting abilities of those that came before us.

On this forum I have seen Flintlocks described as addictive , cool , neat, fun etc . They may be all of that or none of that .
I like them because they are historic and were used in a significant part of World History .
There were many different types of small arms ignition before the Flintlock , probably the most used was the Matchlock .
A flintlock is a lock where the steel ( frizzen) and pan cover are in one piece and the ignition is by a piece of flint striking sparks off the steel .
The earliest known flintlock is a French rifle made 1605-1610 by M LE Bovrgeoys for King Henri IV of France .
The caplock was fully developed by about 1830-1836 , the metallic cartridge was well in use by the 1860's . So the Flintlock was in use for approximately 220 years ,before it was starting to be replaced by the caplock , which was in use for approximately 30 years before it was replaced by the metallic cartridge which has been in use for approximately 160 years .
It can be seen that flintlocks were used for a longer time than any other hand held firearm type .
My flintlocks cover from about 1740 to 1835 +- These were historic and heroic times of war , colonization , exploration and trade . These firearms enabled the formation of Countries , the downfall of Kings and the rise of Empires , they were used to feed our ancestors , for sport and defense, they changed the World as little else has
Flintlocks are not mystical , complicated dirty or inaccurate, many are genuine works of art , some are fakes , some are misnamed, many seem to be misunderstood . They are items of both legend and misinformation.
Above all they are, in so many ways , an immediate connection to our past and above all and most importantly are fun to use.
" It can be seen that flintlocks were used for a longer time than any other hand held firearm type "
The pace of change accelerates over time.

Flintlocks are complicated, unreliable, temperamental, don't work half the time or more, take far more skill then is worth, and use that black stuff that you can't get anymore.
I recommend ya'll just send send them to me for proper disposal and leave any of that black powder stuff on the shelf, I will come and pick it up to prevent any new folk from getting suckered into a lost cause.
You know what? there,s a lot of truth to that. Maybe we enjoy punishment?

i have rifles of every description and caliber and most will shoot 10 rounds into an inch or less at 100 yards. Yawn!
But all just sit 99.9% of the time while i shoot my flintlocks. i shoot a flintlock, wait for the smoke to clear, see my shot at 25 yards is within an inch of my point of aim and grin like a fool! only a flintlock elicits this reaction from me. think i am addicted.

I grew up with an original Percussion in the house so I've always been familiar w BP.. I bought myself a few more over the years and always enjoyed them. Now I've bought myself a small-bore flinter for X-mas this year 'cause I've always wanted to try one,and have fallen in love all over again.Went from first flinter to 4 flinters in a matter of months,and still want at least one more....A truly facinating few months

I am coming to really appreciate the woosh of the priming charge rather than the loud bang of the cap firing next to my face. And not having to make caps.

Myself, I went FL's because being self-sufficient (except maybe the black powder, which can be made, another post?) I am a big fan of being self-sufficient and living off the land. I can food, hunt and eat what I kill, and make more stuff out of what's left

For my BP percussion pistols, I make my own caps

Latest posts

Back