• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The project after next project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought the parts and a piece of wood for a build. My 1st build will be using a precarved stock. The 2nd build will be drawing down from a blank.

Attachments

• 20211209_134845.jpg
    20211209_134845.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 66
Barrels seem to be the manufactured part that has the longest lead time (up to 2 years), but finding "just the right" piece of wood can be quite a lengthy journey too. The BIG thing to pay attention to is grain direction and runout in the wrist and lock area--the weakest part of the gun.

Finding the right piece of wood in a pre-carve (with wood selected by others) may be a life-long quest, so, if you want it in a pre-carve, I suggest you find your wood and have it shipped to them to have the rough shaping work done. Figure on a 6-8 week lead time on that so as to not be disappointed in how long it takes. Most of the places that make them (Pecatonica, Knob Mountain and others) will work with you on this sort of thing if you call them.

That might cost you a little more on the front end (rather than buying what's on sale today), but in the end, you'll be happier you did it that way.

Last edited:
Many years ago my first build was from a precarve and then went to blanks and w/ one exception of using one other precarve which reinforced my use of blanks. Bought a 14" bandsaw and after inletting 4 bbls and also doing the 4 RR holes and grooves, I sent the blanks and bbls out to those who specialized in this work. ....and was never disappointed.

Always had at least 2 future builds complete w. all the parts waiting to be done. The pic shown below was the usual situation . The 3rd up from the bottom was the present build and the 4th up from the bottom was a just completed LR.

Had no problems buying th parts which might not be the case today.....Fred
P1010003.JPG

I just bought the parts and a piece of wood for a build. My 1st build will be using a precarved stock. The 2nd build will be drawing down from a blank.
I truly wish you good luck.
I know better than to try something like that myself.
My best woodworking skills were used up with Pinewood Derby cars with my boys (both Eagled). 😁

Many years ago my first build was from a precarve and then went to blanks and w/ one exception of using one other precarve which reinforced my use of blanks. Bought a 14" bandsaw and after inletting 4 bbls and also doing the 4 RR holes and grooves, I sent the blanks and bbls out to those who specialized in this work. ....and was never disappointed.

Always had at least 2 future builds complete w. all the parts waiting to be done. The pic shown below was the usual situation . The 3rd up from the bottom was the present build and the 4th up from the bottom was a just completed LR.

Had no problems buying th parts which might not be the case today.....FredView attachment 108895
So, you're saying that what you currently do is send them out to be carved? If so, who do you prefer to use and what does it normally run you $$$ wise?

Hi....the blanks were only sent out for just bbl inlettings and for the RR grooves and holes. No other work was done.. The recessd, horizontal gun rack is only for MLers....have a recessed , vertical gun rack for the modern stuff.
Great looking guns, and I really like your set-up, too. I'm trying to reorganize my room to something like this. Thanks for the idea and motivation!
Great looking guns, and I really like your set-up, too. I'm trying to reorganize my room to something like this. Thanks for the idea and motivation!
So, you're saying that what you currently do is send them out to be carved? If so, who do you prefer to use and what does it normally run you $$$ wise?

Back