• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The new Admiral movie.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what year that was supposed to be?

FWIW when I read up on Lord Nelson and the HMS Victory, they didn't have exploding cannonballs perfected at Trafalgar, so the battles were brutal and vicious "slug fests" more than anything else w/ rampant explosions.

Flint62Smoothie said:
I wonder what year that was supposed to be?

FWIW when I read up on Lord Nelson and the HMS Victory, they didn't have exploding cannonballs perfected at Trafalgar, so the battles were brutal and vicious "slug fests" more than anything else w/ rampant explosions.
Raid on Medway was in 1667 during the Second English/Dutch war.

Looks like a well made movie. Only problem is that I don't speak Dutch, Norwegian, German or whatever Germanic language it is and I hate subtitles. I sure hope they come out with an English version.

I found the whole movie on YouTube so you can enjoy the visuals. Problem is, it's all in Dutch even the subtitles. :hmm: :grin: :haha:

From what I've watched so far, it is really well made. Supposedly the movie is based on events that took place in the mid 1600s.

https://youtu.be/J4SsEPgPlkg

Hey Iowa....Thanks for letting us know about this one. Just added it to my queue on Netflix. According to them it will be available on 4/5/16. No mention of language or subtitles in the description, so I looked it up on imdb.com and it is listed as being available in English, so I am hoping that is the version Netflix sends. Trailers looked really good. It's really great to be able to watch a movie like this instead of the kiddie fare with non-stop car chases and explosions we are subjected to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the thanks. I'll have to check Netflix on that. I've been wanting to watch this movie for a while since finding the preview. It looks great. Even without them using english it was good to watch the opening scenes. I'll even give it a watch if they just resort to english subtitles.

I thought it was a very good movie.

It takes place during the time of Charles II who has his eyes on Holland to take some amount of control of the nation.

Holland has it's own internal issues complicating things with a power struggles between the Dutch democratic parliament and the Dutch monarchy related by blood to the Crown of England.

The main character to the movie is about one of Holland's greatest national heroes and master naval strategist and tactician.

A good film to watch and if you like period films about naval military history, this should be another on a list of must see movies.

Do not confuse this title with the Korean film of near the same name which was also a good movie, but it does share the same historical example of a smaller naval force effectively fighting off a much larger and better equipped one.

I believe both movies can be found on Netflix at this time.

Admiral Michiel De Ruytter may have been a fore runner of modern Marines, but Marines go much further back than that, at least to Roman Times.

In the 10th century, we used to sing....

From the Halls of Asian Minor, to the shores of Sicily.....

:haha:

Gus

All kidding aside....

The British began what would become the Royal Marines on 28 October 1664 with the formation of the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, soon becoming known as the Admiral's Regiment.

de Ruyter helped establish the Dutch Marine Corps on 10 December 1665.

These dates according to WIKI, but I think they are correct.

Gus

A rose by any other name. Soldiers carried to sea to do the fighting since at least the Greeks. A war ship in days of oars carriers seaman,oarsman of the ship and a fighting force of a company of soldiers.Only about 10% of the men aboard the armada were seaman the rest soldiers. Making a proper force that was under the command of the ships captian or fleets admiral was the smart move and that's where the Dutch and Brits took the lead. I was aboard a submarine so we didn't have marines aboard.

I'll need to check Netflix to see if they still have this available. I've been wanting to watch it since seeing the trailer for it. I tried to find it on DVD but every copy was way too expensive.

Thanks for the heads up on it's availability. :thumbsup:

I just finished watching it last night on netflix.

It was a good movie and worth the watch.

thanks for the tip.

Fleener

I also watched this last night on Netflix. I agree with you. A very good movie. I would suggest it to anyone who loves history.

:hatsoff:

Interesting to note that by 1690 the British had a Dutch king - William of Orange.

The part of England that I live in - East Anglia - is crammed full of reminders of the Dutch, from the many thousands of locals with Dutch names, to the actual architecture, which is, in places, nothing less than a duplication of any Dutch town or Port, viz. Wisbech.

The fact that East Anglia is now THE definitive agricultural landscape of the UK is down to the efforts of the Dutch civil engineer, Sir Cornelius Vermuyden, who drained the fen landscape using Dutch water-control technology and know-how, making the 'black fields' of Cambridgeshire such a noticeable feature. He became a British citizen in 1633 and was knighted for his work.

tac

Back