• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Most Versatile Hunting Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest stuff we have in PA is deer with the exception of black bears so I feel the .50 caliber is the best choice. We are not allowed to use that caliber for small game but I don't think light loads would be to much for small game if permitted. If west of the Mississippi then I could see the .54 being a better choice. My 1/66 twisters shoot great from 30-110 grains of powder.

If memory serves me, :confused: I think .45 cal is the minimum here in CA for "Big game". This was also my first cal. in ML rifles. I "barked" many squirrel with it when I was A kid.
Now, if you're out West going for elk, or in the great North going for moose, 'might want to "super-size" it a bit more. If I had to pick ONE caliber, I suppose .50

I vote for .45.Cheap to run, good on squirrels with as little as 10 grains, can do moose with heavy conicals and 90 grains and extremely fast with PRB and 90 grains,even more so with a 35-42 in barrel.That said though, I've taken many squirrels with my Bess loaded with 100 grains an 1 1/2 oz of #4 up to 35-40 yds.
If not "very legal",remember that most, if not all north american game, has fallen to the 22LR.Shoot placement is the most important part of hunting.
Wellcome to the never ending choices of muzzleloaders.

The 50 Caliber Hawken is by far the DO IT ALL rifle. Dig up a Mountain man and ask em.

If that is too small for ya. Go 58

Headhunter

I don't like adjustable wrenches.The proper tool for the proper job.Get one of each! :rotf:

Here our big game seasons, Deer, Bear, Boar and Deer again run in a continous string, so I find my .50s to be the most versatile. I do have a 28 gauge smoothy, and a .36 caliber varmint rifle for whatever's left over. :thumbsup:

A 45 with a long conical will take any game that walks on the planet cleanly. Feeling under gunned with one is like sayiong the 45-70 is a joke! The same can be said for most of the muzzleloading bores. My 36 with a 170 grain conical over 50 grains of powder will do for anything that walks this side of the pond with proper shot placement.
I have a 36, a 50, a 54, and a 12 guage right now. Most of the time I find either the 36 or the 12 guage in my hand. The 12 guage is top dog since I have a 50 barrel for it. It is just as usable from bunnies to elk. That is as close as I have come to a one gun solution. A guy with a 12 guage, a bag of balls and a snake of shot is just about as well armed as you can get east of the big muddy. West of it in the plains/mountain states, most want more range than a smoothy will provide. Longer shots and bigger game. The perfect gun there is something like Stumpy's 54 post. A true one gun solution with differing power levels for different uses.
The 50 is easier to buy supplies for, but the 54 isn't too bad either. They both cover pretty close to the same power levels. Close enough that what one can be used for, the other pretty much can do the same thing.
In the end, it would depend on where I was hunting for me. The 45 with roundball over a small powder dipper of powder makes a good small game load. If you pull the ball and add a second dipper of powder with a 450 grain conical. Now we are talking bears!. East of the Mississippi the smoothbore gets the nod. Out west I would likely choose the 45. Of course, there is a lot of wing shooting to be had out there also.
I can't decide!!!!!

Best caliber?....Thats like asking which one of my kids I like best. If pressed to the wall,I would have to go with a fifty for all of the reasons listed before. But I don't like conicals, I only like round ball, and It aint fair to make me choose amongst my guns. Lets modify the question a little. If you were lost in the timber and could only take one possible bag and one gun, which would you take. I would have to take my 12 smoothie. Like the one fella already said, shot snake,round ball, and my big powder horn and I'm ready for anything.

Hard to beat a 45 for the majority of your shooting, on hide, on steel or on paper. So I'd call it the most versatile all round choice.

Where is School Belle ? Ya coming back? ya got some good answers here.
Hope you don't post once and leave. :hmm:

My first flint rifle was a 45. I have killed many squirrels ,deer and turkey with it. I have a few flintlocks now but 20 years later I still go back to that first rifle for serious target work or hunting. I just feel like I can't miss with it.
So .45 has my vote for best all around caliber for me. I think a 50 would be just as good. If I was only going to hunt big game with it and not shoot more than say 50 shots a month than I may consideer a 54 or larger.

well i have a 54 renegade which also has a 20g smoothbore barrle. with that combo you could take all most any type of big game with the rifled barrel and also take down any bird with the smoothbore too.

Back