• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Items of Faith. The Dogma of Muzzleloading.com

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, the ignore feature helps block out some of the bloviating that happens. Even something as simple as using drill rod instead of a nail for thimbles winds some of them up. It was funny, gets old though so I have blocked most of them.
The ancients from coupla hundred years ago would probably sold their grits and mayhaps the little woman to have finished drill rod, 12L14 steel snd epoxy..

I've often wondered why we say we speak English. Much of our words and spelling is different, although very similar. I think it's high time we declare ours the American language.
Jews and Greeks often can understand classical Hebrew or Greek far better than we can read Shakespeare. Italian speakers can often understand if not speak classical Latin.
There is a story of late Middle English speakers who just six miles from London were unable to speak to a village lady who kept repeating she spoke no French.
They asked for eggs, but she had no idea of eggs. Finally they asked for evren and she had plenty

Yes. Englishman were changing the language way before coming here.
It is the way of mankind since the beginning yet in the near future it will change.

I enjoyed going to Isle of Skye and hearing them talk. I had difficulty understanding them but they understood every word I said. Many are exposed to American movies I suppose.

If I am watching a television show or movie made in England, I need to have the closed captions on to be able to understand the dialog. America and England, two countries separated by a common language.

We used to have a Priest locally who was born in Ireland, raised in England and then spent time in Australia before coming to the US. We needed a dang translator to understand him.

I have a couple of Spanish friends who moved to the swamps out of New Orleans and learned their English there. Both retain a heavy Spanish accent. But it is their English I can't understand. It is funny to hear them speak Cajun English with the Spanish accent.

Last edited:
Here in the land of Aussies "a hearty heave ho" means "heaving the guts"......."chundering in the ol pacific sea"......."spewing the pizza"......"ruining the new wifes wedding dress with organic running fluids".
Its not that we're vulgar kulcharily speaking, just that we have a significantly different application of the English language. Ask yourselves why no Aussie Army Officer has ever been appointed to the Brit Queen or Kings Equirey position, its because we're not "English" enough with the "Englishnese" BS.
I worked with some Aussies on a Washington wildfire a few years back. Coming off the line we saw a truck cleaning the portapots with the name Rooter prominently painted on the side. They laughed so hard they could hardly stand up. I really enjoyed working with those blokes.

I have a couple of Spanish friends who moved to the swamps out of New Orleans and learned their English there. Both retain a heavy Spanish accent. But it is their English I can't understand. It is funny to hear them speak Cajun English with the Spanish accent.

We had a neighbor from Louisiana fresh off the bayou, a Mr. Harris. REAL strong cajun accent. "squirrel" was "squh". "What did you do?"="whuh chu gone did?" , etc. We loved that old man.

People make fun, but really, now be honest, our Southern dialects aren't as harsh as some Yankee brogues. For instance I can't hardly understand my first cousins from Philadelphia. "thirty third street" = "toytie toyd stweet" give me a break LOL.

Had a fellow USMC pilot from Phili in the squadron. Other = uddah; numbers = numbahs

Also a couple of New Yorkers with strong accents.

Had one old cajun boy from Slidell. He was quite the character. Couldn't pronounce sh to save his life.....it always came out as ch. But he was one smart SOB...had a masters in physics from MIT and went on to get a phD and eventually taught at a high powered university

Unfortunately, with TV and media, we have lost so much of the accents and variability in language. It truly is a huge loss. That is a true example in diversity that did make a difference. It added color to our lives.

If I am watching a television show or movie made in England, I need to have the closed captions on to be able to understand the dialog. America and England, two countries separated by a common language.

I have trouble with those foreign language films too. Try watching Derry Girls. Couldn't for the life of me figure what was going on till somebody got punched 😕. Then it started to make sense.

My dogma won't hunt. 😞

Back