• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Items of Faith. The Dogma of Muzzleloading.com

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a very set dogma here and shame on ANYONE who violates that dogma. You must be a true believer.

You MUST only shoot the Round Ball, magic pill of death.

You MUST only use Black Powder (no subs).

You MUST never exceed 70 to 80 grains of powder, "you simply don't need to"

CVA/Traditions are trash (but there is a strong segment that calls BS. I call them the Reformist movement)

There are a few more, but minor compared to these. 100's of years, unimpeded by progress. I always get a laugh.

Me too, the ignore feature helps block out some of the bloviating that happens. Even something as simple as using drill rod instead of a nail for thimbles winds some of them up. It was funny, gets old though so I have blocked most of them.

CVA/Traditions are trash (but there is a strong segment that calls BS. I call them the Reformist movement)
Sounds reasonable.

There is a very set dogma here and shame on ANYONE who violates that dogma. You must be a true believer.

There are a few more, but minor compared to these. 100's of years, unimpeded by progress. I always get a laugh.

Don’t forget flint guns are always better than than those cap guns…
So there’s nothing new too add….🤣👍

There is a very set dogma here,,,,
Flip the Coin; there's the,
I need the MAX load and biggest bullet to make a clean kill,
A rifle needs fast twist and musket cap ignition to be accurate and reliable
Long barrels don't make good brush guns,
( because I went through that phase myself )
I try to guide folks no matter what their trying with what I learned with my own experience, but when they jump on a band wagon and beat the drum long and loud,,
,it gets old no matter which side they choose to expound.

The banter was so bad in the early days of this forum that it actually split,, and another full organization was born with nothing but "traditional muzzle loading forum".

And there's more than 100yrs, the "progress" lead to different kinds of firearms, there simply wasn't improvement made that kept the guns the same.
Ya can't make a combination trad/in-line gun,,, it's one or the other,, different technologies, from progress,,

Flip the Coin; there's the,
I need the MAX load and biggest bullet to make a clean kill,
A rifle needs fast twist and musket cap ignition to be accurate and reliable
Long barrels don't make good brush guns,
( because I went through that phase myself )
I try to guide folks no matter what their trying with what I learned with my own experience, but when they jump on a band wagon and beat the drum long and loud,,
,it gets old no matter which side they choose to expound.

The banter was so bad in the early days of this forum that it actually split,, and another full organization was born with nothing but "traditional muzzle loading forum"
@necchi Excellent point. I share my experience in the above simply because I am a hunter and that is where my experience leads me.

But you are right. The drum beating gets old, no matter the "beat".

Different strokes for different folks.

I love my 500 grain powerbelts lathered in Vaseline and patched with cleaning patches.
Pyrodex is the best, real BP is for old people.
150+ grains or you aren't a real man.
My CVA is more well built than an old Ford tractor. CVA is like the Ferrari of guns.

All jokes aside, I have an inline CVA that's fantastic though.
Other than those, I hunt ducks with steel shot, no cup, ALWAYS prime the pan before I load, and prefer to cap the rifle before I pour the powder in directly from the flask.

🙄

I always liken it to group looking out a window. Everyone is in a slightly different position and will have a different perspective than everyone else. Those sitting may not see things just in front and below the window, those standing back a little from the window may not see what’s going on in the sky, those to the right……

A small group, inside a room looking out the same window at the same time, looking at the same event, and none will have the same perspective nor see the same thing.

A small group, on an Internet forum…….

Back