• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the French made a better musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowling for British.

"Better musket" by what standards? Perhaps before cartridge rifles, one deciding factor was ball size. The bigger the better.

I recall during Basic Training that the instructor said that jacketed bullets were superior because they did not expand. Paraphrasing: “We’re not trying to kill the enemy, just disable him. A disabled soldier often requires two men to help him and wounded soldiers cause more moral problems than dead ones. Besides a jacketed bullet is more likely to pass though one man and hit another.” Twofers! The .75 was just the weapon to yield twofers.

My guess is that the .75 was the largest piece that a typical soldier could march with over long distances ”“ as were the M-1s and M14s that I carried. A .90 would have been great, but it would have been like carrying and firing the WW2 era BAR.

In the flintlock days, the rapidly-loaded, rapidly-fired, poorly-aimed volleys probably resulted in lots of poor hits in the first rank that carried into other ranks. Perhaps the mass firing was more like bowling than sharpshooting. In other words, a Patriot was “bowling for British.” How any of you bowl with a ball less than 16 pounds?

My guess is that the workmanship was somewhat less important than caliber, but finding or training men willing to stand and fire until they were themselves were killed was the far more important.

Then again, the Bess may well have been .75, but the ball it fired was only .69,That allowed them to fire it rapidly and not be hampered by fowling as quickly as a tighter fitting ball.

Skagan, could you please tell us some of the adventures you've had with your Bess and some of its idiosyncracies? Please feel free to open another thread if you wish. I'm currently researching how to optimize a Pedersoli Brown Bess. What makes for optimum accuracy? Any comments or suggestions?

If I may step in, possibly at the tail end.....
The January issue of Guns & Ammo has an article close to this subject. An article by Garry James compares the Napoleonic muskets of the English and the French (Brown Bess vs. French 1777/Year Nine). It seems to be a fair article and doesn't actually call out a clear winner, although the author's taste goes with the Bess. Now some may be able to pick this article apart, but I know he is more of an expert on the subject than myself and that he has handled/shot many period firearms. So if you are interested in picking up a somewhat modern rag, I'd recommend this particular issue for more info on this subject.

Back