• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Big Iron at 100 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20210630_154918.jpg

Uberti Walker ,100 yards from the range table, just using my arms for support.

50 gr charges of 2f, .454 round ball. Later downgraded to 40 gr. Old Eynsford powder. 2f is closer to the historically correct powder and I feel it's gentler on the big Colts that use huge charges. I use 2f in my Dragoon, usually even in my .36 Navy.

Factory nipples are trash , they allowed the hammer to blow off the nipple just enough to let the spent cap slide down the frame. The flash holes look huge compared to other nipples.

My other Walker doesn't do this with the factory nipples, go figure. Bought them as a Pair, this is my first time shooting the 2nd one. I have TotW nipples for these I haven't yet played around with.

20210630_164527.jpg

After shooting 6 at 50 yards, then 6 at 100, I started single loading as cap jams from crappy nipples made full cylinders prohibitive.

I honestly did better than I thought I would have. Still hitting about a foot high at 100. At least 3 hits just on the outer edge of the target. Aimed at the "waist". Revolver did it's job if I attempted to do mine.

That rear notch and front blade look awfully crude when you're looking at a 100 yard silhouette. Still, consistent hits are possible.

I brought conicals I bought from a GB seller but appears they dropped from his mold oversized. I had to wrestle it into the chamber. No good, only fired 1. Good thing I have a .451 sizer

I shoot 40grns. 3F, a Wonder Wad, and a .454 RB in my Walkers. Accurate, for me, and easy on the Big Guns.
I don't shoot C&Bs over 50 yards,( 25 yards for 31 & 36 cals.) but can still keep surprisingly decent groups at that range. When I had a ROA, I would shoot it at 100yds since it had adjustable sights. And the full size O2 tank at 350 yds on my range was really fun with the ROA.

**BANG----CLUNK. BANG----CLUNK. BANG----CLUNK. BANG----CLUNK. BANG----CLUNK. BANG----CLUNK.**

I have always enjoyed stretching out the range of big Revolvers. I honestly had more hits on the paper than I expected. I think if I did my part I could keep most of them in the scoring area. Maybe with conicals.

I'll have to set up my 12"x12" swinger next time

Back