• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rogers and Spencer at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernbar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_7641.jpeg
IMG_7639.jpeg
IMG_7627.jpeg
Picked up a R&S from fellow member JQuigley and shot it yesterday at my gun club. I was super impressed at how well this pistol performed. I fired a combo of 100 .454 round balls and conicals in paper cartridges containing 35 grains of Schuetzen, no lube whatsoever. The cylinder pin was sprayed once with Pam. I never had a cap or paper jam, no binding or gumming of the cylinder. This this was like the energizer bunny, it kept going till I ran out of ammo. Accuracy was outstanding even with a filthy barrel and no lube to keep the fowling soft. It shot about 6” ish high but the groups were there at 20 yards. Wish I had taken more ammo with me. The Remington 11 caps fit great on the factory cones so no need to replace them.

No surprise here, both the accuracy and how long it keeps running without issues. I stumbled on these things about 30 years ago and was smart enough to buy a few, including a long sought after London Gray model. Only drawback now is obtaining any repair/replacement parts. It's funny--now that Rogers & Spencers are out of production I've seen an apparent rise in interest over the last couple of years. I sure wish someone would start producing them again.

No surprise here, both the accuracy and how long it keeps running without issues. I stumbled on these things about 30 years ago and was smart enough to buy a few, including a long sought after London Gray model. Only drawback now is obtaining any repair/replacement parts. It's funny--now that Rogers & Spencers are out of production I've seen an apparent rise in interest over the last couple of years. I sure wish someone would start producing them again.
That would be fantastic if it’s made again. I can’t believe how well it feels and handles over my other pistols. This one I believe to be a 1997 production.

Mine was made in the late 1970's by uro arms of America. Many 1978.
Accuracy is very good , doesn't handle well. is very difficult to lock the hammer back.
I'm considered selling/trading it

Attachments

• 17050828323743336807441022431012.jpg
    17050828323743336807441022431012.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I got one several years ago as new, no box, at auction. Haven't shot but like 'em. They are hard to cock one-handed, not like the Peacemaker! Good report, thanks.
Mine has a very smooth and light hammer pull and a short hammer travel compared to the other pistols. Have you taken it apart to clean the internals. If after cleaning the hammer is still hard to pull then you need to hour glass the spring to reduce the stiffness. I did that to my S&B that had an atrocious hammer pull.
Mine was made in the late 1970's by uro arms of America. Many 1978.
Accuracy is very good , doesn't handle well. is very difficult to lock the hammer back.
I'm considered selling/trading it
Hour glass the hammer spring to solve the issue.

Like all the European caplock revolvers I have owned. They need tuning for shooting use unless you're standards are low. R and S all have hammer springs that need lightning. That's just my guess after having over a dozen R&S...

It's funny--now that Rogers & Spencers are out of production I've seen an apparent rise in interest over the last couple of years. I sure wish someone would start producing them again.
Pedersoli bought the rights when Euroarms went under and is just sitting on those rights, apparently. You can bet if they ever resume production they will cost an arm and a leg. I was fortunate enough to snag a NIB one right after Euroarms folded.

Pedersoli bought the rights when Euroarms went under and is just sitting on those rights, apparently. You can bet if they ever resume production they will cost an arm and a leg. I was fortunate enough to snag a NIB one right after Euroarms folded.
Rights? The revolver is 150 years out of production. I can’t believe anyone needs permission to reproduce it.

You are correct.
as a American you recognize that permission is not needed for someone to produce a revolver.
It's Because of the bad guys that are alive and well and working.
taxes.
It has a lot to do with taxes paid on manufacturing and selling something and the employees you pay and the electricity or energy you use while you produce the product and how it's transported an your licenses it's all about taxes and money.
Whether or not you have permission from a bully.

I got out my Elmer Keith books this morning as I'm going to be spending some time inside reading today, one of the books I got out is 'six guns'

It's been several years since I read it but I remembered he talked about how he himself and other people tried for decades to get firearms manufacturers in the United States to start reproducing the old single action revolvers , and no one would do it.
Colt would not, Smith & Wesson would not and Remington would not and yet all of those companies were having financial problems , and literally refused a fortune that was to have been had if they had started reproducing their old western revolvers.

So an Italian started remaking them and they sold like mad in the United States an to this very day still are selling.

Ruger made his fortune on single action revolvers.

Mine has a very smooth and light hammer pull and a short hammer travel compared to the other pistols. Have you taken it apart to clean the internals. If after cleaning the hammer is still hard to pull then you need to hour glass the spring to reduce the stiffness. I did that to my S&B that had an atrocious hammer pull.

Hour glass the hammer spring to solve the issue.
Thank you for help but that's not exactly the problem, my problem is that hammer is so high up it's hard to maneuver my hand to get my thumb on it to get the hammer pulled down even with a very light spring that hammer is just so high.

I've thought about a slip hammer for it

I have one too. I can't keep my grip and pull the hammer back. The spur is about vertical. I have big hands and it's awkward to cock it. My Colts do not have this problem. The gun feels good to shoot though. Also there is no safety notch or any other way to make it safe to carry with six loaded.

If your R&S doesn't have a half cock there is something seriously wrong with it.

I shop one for years and cocked with my left hand which is allowed under N-SSA rules and avoids changing my right hand grip.

Half cock is not a safe way to carry loaded. You can set the hammer down between the chambers. There is nothing to prevent movement or rotation with that.

I carried my roger and Spencer every day for part of a year, I carried it the way you're describing, loaded with the hammer between the cylinders.

One day after work I took a detour to a sportsman's access where I could do some shooting and not one of the caps would go off

The spare parts are what concerns me. Probably not much money to be made by someone to produce parts.

Latest posts

Back