• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanksgiving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think I brought up persecution, other then forcing people to watch basketball :grin:,
I read Hawthorn, almost as bad as basketball, I don’t doubt he is as good a source as Scott or Cooper.
Cottons sermons are a bit dour for sure, but sometimes those who lead in have a fanitical outlook that’s not reflected by the community at large.
I don’t think that they would have made a law restricting Christmas if there were not a lot of folks celebrating Christmas, or at least making merry at Yuletide.
What seemed
As going overboard for morality in The Scarlet Letter reflected ideas two centuries out of date. The real crime was not about sex, it was about economics. Marriage was an economic contract a women would agree to have her children by a man that would keep them and leave his wealth to them on death. A man agreed to keep the women and her children as his children.
A bastard was a thief of his resources. A women commuting adultery indangered the economic basis of society. A man sleeping with another mans wife likewise was a thief, not over sex but over inheritance.
Then these were small communities, friction between members of the group indangered the whole group.
It wasn’t about being prudish, it was about making a working society. It looks like the first thanksgiving was pretty merry. And judging on cottons sermons there was a lot of merrymaking in his world. He may not have approved but it was there none the less.

H. L. Mencken

"Puritanism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, is happy."

Spence

Let's not forget the "nails on the blackboard" pleasure of watching a soccer match. :barf: I find it about as pleasurable as "the death of a thousand cuts". But, that's just me, a miserable old curmudgeon.

satx78247 said:
SPOT ON.

Here's hoping that you & your lady had a BLESSED Thanksgiving.

yours, "D" & satx

Thank you but my wife of 51 years passed away about two and a half years ago. I miss her terribly every day. However, I am blessed by the promise that I will see her again one day and we will be together for eternity. I have no fear of death and when The Lord is ready to call me home, I am ready.

About a year after my beautiful Patti passed away, my daughter dreamed that Patti appeared to me and said "Honey, it's time to go.". When my daughter looked back, Patti and I were gone. Now, I just hope that in my last moment on earth, as I draw my final breath, Patti will come to me and say those same words..."Honey, it's time to go.". What a beautiful "Gettin' Up Morning" that will be. :thumbsup:

Billnpatti said:
Let's not forget the "nails on the blackboard" pleasure of watching a soccer match. :barf: I find it about as pleasurable as "the death of a thousand cuts". But, that's just me, a miserable old curmudgeon.

Same game, just played outside.... :wink:

I grew up in South America where football (soccer to yanks) was pretty much the only game in town. Even so, for me, soccer would be much easier to watch if the rules were changed to allow about three times the scores that currently take place. I can only sit so long to watch a game that ends with a score of one vs zero. :hmm:

Well I have to say soccer was invented for people who found it to much of a nail biter to watch paint dry. Curling is just slow-death-on-ice.
Yes I had Scottish ancestors who were just as crazy. They would beat a ball with a club, toss s telephone pole, eat a big boiled stomach full of offal and oatmeal and finishe it off with a glass of whisky flavored with burnt dirt :doh:

Coot said:
I grew up in South America where football (soccer to yanks) was pretty much the only game in town. Even so, for me, soccer would be much easier to watch if the rules were changed to allow about three times the scores that currently take place. I can only sit so long to watch a game that ends with a score of one vs zero. :hmm:

All I can say to that is...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!........ :haha:

tenngun said:
The promise of being with our loved ones again makes life worth living. When your last day here comes you will have your best guide to your future.

:hmm: ....

"Tragedy always brings about radical change in our lives, a change that is associated with the same principle: loss. When faced by any loss, there’s no point in trying to recover what has been; it’s best to take advantage of the large space that opens up before us and fill it with something new."

-Paulo Coelho- Brazilian poet and writer.

Those of us who face life straight on and with the understanding that this is all there is, there's no afterlife, feel the pain of loss even more acutely because of that fact. That old sage Mark Twain put it well...

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Spence

George said:
Those of us who face life straight on and with the understanding that this is all there is, there's no afterlife, feel the pain of loss even more acutely because of that fact. That old sage Mark Twain put it well...

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Spence
Well said Spence.
This existence is all we have - when the lights go out, there is nothing else. Live life to the fullest and as if each day were your last.

VERY TRUE. Eastern Woodland folk were accomplished farmers/stock owners. = One early NA "cooperative" farm in what is now coastal NC was at least 60 acres in size.
Further, Woodland NA women owned almost everything that the family acquired.
(Warriors owned NOTHING except his clothing, weapons and horse(s), if he had any. Furthermore, until a man married his mother owned most of his property. After marriage, his wife or wives received his property, if any, from his mother.)

Most marriages, btw, were "arranged" by the mothers/grandmothers/clan-mothers, often regardless of the groom's input.
After "bride prices" were agreed upon & paid to the bride's mother, based upon the prospective bride's "agreed upon likely value as a wife, industriness, ability to accomplish domestic tasks, farmeress & mother".
(Fwiw, a mother, who had several "daughters of suitable age & adjudged value as wives", might become quite wealthy.)

That wise system assured that mothers, wives & children would NOT become "destitute & pitiful" if a warrior/husband or an unmarried son died in warfare, by accident or of disease.

A Personal Note: If our people's "old school system" had been in effect when I decided to marry a beautiful to look upon but slothful & generally worthless college coed, I wouldn't have been stuck with "a pretty ornament" for >6 years. = As I said, the traditional method of Woodland tribe's marriage was SUPERIOR in many ways to the "modern system".

yours, satx

Try giving this a read.
https://www.amazon.com/Words-Threshold-What-Nearing-Death/dp/1608684601

I heard an interview with the author, very thought provoking.
One of the nurses who worked in the Critical Care Unit I work in became a Hospice nurse after reading this book.

Not trying to reverse your view, but would be interested in the thoughts one with your viewpoint has after reeading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
George said:

Spence
:thumbsup:

Back